-   -   Xubuntu 12.04 no detection or list of printers (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/663541-xubuntu-12-04-no-detection-list-printers.html)

Albert Wagner 05-06-2012 12:42 AM

Xubuntu 12.04 no detection or list of printers

In Xubuntu 12.04 there is no detection of my printer, nor is there a
list of printers to choose from when adding a printer. It just requests
a device URI, such as ipp://cups-server/printers/printer-queue.
This seems pretty primitive. I suspect something needs to be done more
useful than trying to find a URI for my printer: Epson WP-4020.
Xubuntu 11.10 had no problem detecting, finding the correct driver, and
installing. What can be done in 12.04?

Graham Watkins 05-06-2012 02:03 PM

Xubuntu 12.04 no detection or list of printers

In Xubuntu 12.04 there is no detection of my printer, nor is there a
list of printers to choose from when adding a printer. It just
requests a device URI, such as ipp://cups-server/printers/printer-queue.
This seems pretty primitive. I suspect something needs to be done
more useful than trying to find a URI for my printer: Epson WP-4020.
Xubuntu 11.10 had no problem detecting, finding the correct driver,
and installing. What can be done in 12.04?

Is cups installed?

I had a problem with 12.04 (in a VBox installation) where, although it
could see my Epson DX4000 printer, it wouldn't print until I installed
cups-driver-gutenprint from Synaptic.

Cheers,

Graham

Albert Wagner 05-06-2012 02:30 PM

Xubuntu 12.04 no detection or list of printers

In Xubuntu 12.04 there is no detection of my printer, nor is there a
list of printers to choose from when adding a printer. It just
requests a device URI, such as ipp://cups-server/printers/printer-queue.
This seems pretty primitive. I suspect something needs to be done
more useful than trying to find a URI for my printer: Epson WP-4020.
Xubuntu 11.10 had no problem detecting, finding the correct driver,
and installing. What can be done in 12.04?

Is cups installed?

I had a problem with 12.04 (in a VBox installation) where, although it
could see my Epson DX4000 printer, it wouldn't print until I installed
cups-driver-gutenprint from Synaptic.
Thanks, Graham, but cups is installed, along with several support
packages. No joy yet.

Albert Wagner 05-06-2012 02:46 PM

Xubuntu 12.04 no detection or list of printers

Dignostics from printing thingy.

Page 1 (Scheduler not running?):
{'cups_connection_failure': False}
Page 2 (Choose printer):
{'cups_dests_available': [], 'cups_queue_listed': False}
Page 3 (Local or remote?):
{'printer_is_remote': False}
Page 4 (Choose device):
{'cups_device_listed': False, 'cups_devices_available': {}}
Page 5 (Locale issues):
{'printer_page_size': None,
'system_locale_lang': None,
'user_locale_ctype': 'en_US',