Old 05-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Mika Suomalainen

Default 12.04 new install

06.05.2012 00:06, Ric Moore kirjoitti:
> On 05/05/2012 04:10 PM, Verde Denim wrote:
>>

>> On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Hans Muecke
>> <ubuntu-ml01@filderstadtweather.eu
>> <mailto:ubuntu-ml01@filderstadtweather.eu>> wrote:
>>
>> Am 05.05.2012 13:22, schrieb Verde Denim:
>>> I have everything running on this system the way I can be
>>> happy
>> with
>>> it, except the sound. I've been searching through lots of links
>>> of people who have the same problem, but not much in the way
>>> of solutions. Anyone here gotten past the silence with 12.04?
>>> alsa testing (speaker-test) seems to work, but players, etc -
>>> no joy. Any input is appreciated...
>>>

>> Just thinking (since I had the same trouble after upgrading) ...
>> are you a member of the audio group?
>>

>> looks like I'm about to be... I can't seem to find a
>> satisfactory solution and have seen two recommendations to join
>> that group since this problem will get addressed at some point
>> and I'm willing to help in whatever way I can...
>

> Whoops! He meant is your user in the audio group in /etc/group ??
> That is the easy way to check: more /etc/group and see if your user
> is a member of the group named "audio"
>
> ...or crank up your personal user account editor in preferences and
> do that with a gui. I don't know the name of that KDE application
> but I'm sure you can easily find it. You user should also be a
> member of the group "cdrom" as well, if you want to use your cdrom
> or dvd. Ric

Ric, there is easier way to check which groups you are in. Just open
terminal and run "groups". It tells you list of all groups where you
are in, like this:
> % groups mkaysi adm mail cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev
> lpadmin
Devgan debian-tor

- --
Mika Suomalainen
gpg --keyserver pool.sks-keyservers.net --recv-keys 4DB53CFE82A46728
Key fingerprint = 24BC 1573 B8EE D666 D10A AA65 4DB5 3CFE 82A4 6728
http://mkaysi.github.com/

Old 05-05-2012, 10:35 PM
Verde Denim

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Hans Muecke

<ubuntu-ml01@filderstadtweather.eu

<mailto:ubuntu-ml01@filderstadtweather.eu>> wrote:

* * > I have everything running on this system the way I can be happy with

* * > it, except the sound. I've been searching through lots of links of

* * > people who have the same problem, but not much in the way of

* * > solutions. Anyone here gotten past the silence with 12.04? alsa

* * > testing (speaker-test) seems to work, but players, etc - no joy.

* * > Any input is appreciated...

* * >

* * >

* *Just thinking (since I had the same trouble after upgrading) ... are you

* *a member of the audio group?

looks like I'm about to be... I can't seem to find a satisfactory

solution and have seen two recommendations to join that group since this

problem will get addressed at some point and I'm willing to help in

whatever way I can...

Whoops! He meant is your user in the audio group in /etc/group

??

That is the easy way to check: more /etc/group and see if your user is a member of the group named "audio"

...or crank up your personal user account editor in preferences and do that with a gui. I don't know the name of that KDE application but I'm sure you can easily find it. You user should also be a member of the group "cdrom" as well, if you want to use your cdrom or dvd. Ric

Does this solve the issue for the lack of sound? If it does, I'm going to feel mighty n00bish!

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 05-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Ric Moore

[...]

Thanks! I forgot that. Ric