Old 05-05-2012, 08:01 PM
wcj9996

Default 100% CPU solved

On 05/05/2012 11:09 AM, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:

On Sat, 05 May 2012 10:55:17 -0700
wcj9996<wcj9996@frontier.com> wrote:

Hello:

I am running 10.04 on an AMD-64 CPU. I have been noticing a slowdown
on occasion for several months. System Monitor shows 100% CPU and
more network activity than I would expect. This occurs when Firefox
and Thunderbird are running. Running 'top' shows 'virtuoso-t'
taking 46.9% of CPU and two instances of 'nepomukservices' taking
18% and 15% of CPU.

Are these malware of some kind?

Malware, yes, in the fact that they are installed without your
knowledge/permission. Welcome to KDE. Master knows best.

Thanks for your help.

walt

Cybe R. Wizard

Replying to my own message.

Thank you Sonny and Cybe for the clues I needed to find the source of
the problem. It appears to have been fixed. This is what I did. First
I tried the suggestions I found on Google. No change.

Then I went in to /usr/bin and renamed all of the executable files
containing "nepo*".

They are after renaming:
save-akonadi_nepomuk_calendar_feeder
save-akonadi_nepomuk_contact_feeder
save-akonadi_nepomuktag_resource
save-nepomuk-rcgen
save-nepomukserver
save-nepomukservicestub

This seems to have solved the problem. I am using UBUNTU 10.04 and gnome 2.

walt

--
----- walt wcj9996@frontier.com -----

Old 05-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Ric Moore

[...]

Next system update will put them right back. Sorry. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 05-06-2012, 12:46 AM
wcj9996

[...]

Ric, Thanks for the reminder. How about if I run:
sudo apt-get remove --purge virtuoso-nepomuk

walt

--
----- walt wcj9996@frontier.com -----