Old 05-05-2012, 06:22 PM
Verde Denim

Default 12.04 new install

I have everything running on this system the way I can be happy with it, except the sound. I've been searching through lots of links of people who have the same problem, but not much in the way of solutions. Anyone here gotten past the silence with 12.04? alsa testing (speaker-test) seems to work, but players, etc - no joy.

Any input is appreciated...

Old 05-05-2012, 07:19 PM
Hans Muecke

Am 05.05.2012 13:22, schrieb Verde Denim:
> I have everything running on this system the way I can be happy with
> it, except the sound. I've been searching through lots of links of
> people who have the same problem, but not much in the way of
> solutions. Anyone here gotten past the silence with 12.04? alsa
> testing (speaker-test) seems to work, but players, etc - no joy.
> Any input is appreciated...

Just thinking (since I had the same trouble after upgrading) ... are you
a member of the audio group?

--
Talk to you later ... Hans (125 to go)

2012/05/05 18:50
EDDS 051850Z 08004KT 9999 FEW028 FEW030CB SCT280 12/10 Q1006 NOSIG

Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Verde Denim

On Sat, May 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Hans Muecke <ubuntu-ml01@filderstadtweather.eu> wrote:

Am 05.05.2012 13:22, schrieb Verde Denim:

> I have everything running on this system the way I can be happy with

> it, except the sound. I've been searching through lots of links of

> people who have the same problem, but not much in the way of

> solutions. Anyone here gotten past the silence with 12.04? alsa

> testing (speaker-test) seems to work, but players, etc - no joy.

> Any input is appreciated...

Just thinking (since I had the same trouble after upgrading) ... are you

a member of the audio group?

looks like I'm about to be... I can't seem to find a satisfactory solution and have seen two recommendations to join that group since this problem will get addressed at some point and I'm willing to help in whatever way I can...

Old 05-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Ric Moore

<mailto:ubuntu-ml01@filderstadtweather.eu>> wrote:

Am 05.05.2012 13:22, schrieb Verde Denim:
> I have everything running on this system the way I can be happy with
> it, except the sound. I've been searching through lots of links of
> people who have the same problem, but not much in the way of
> solutions. Anyone here gotten past the silence with 12.04? alsa
> testing (speaker-test) seems to work, but players, etc - no joy.
> Any input is appreciated...

Just thinking (since I had the same trouble after upgrading) ... are you
a member of the audio group?

looks like I'm about to be... I can't seem to find a satisfactory
solution and have seen two recommendations to join that group since this
problem will get addressed at some point and I'm willing to help in
whatever way I can...

Whoops! He meant is your user in the audio group in /etc/group
??
That is the easy way to check: more /etc/group and see if your user is a
member of the group named "audio"

...or crank up your personal user account editor in preferences and do
that with a gui. I don't know the name of that KDE application but I'm
sure you can easily find it. You user should also be a member of the
group "cdrom" as well, if you want to use your cdrom or dvd. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html