Old 05-05-2012, 06:01 PM
Bill Stanley

Default Pop up menu in Xubuntu

How can I disable the pop-up menu on Xubuntu 12.04. I am referring to
the menu that pops up at the bottom of the screen whenever the mouse
moves to the bottom of the screen. It is rather distracting and it
interferes when I am running a Virtual box VM in full screen mode.
Preferably, it could be activated when a keystroke (Super key) or a
combination of Keys is pressed. Other than this, Xubuntu is acceptable.

Bill Stanley

Old 05-06-2012, 01:17 AM
Mike Kupfer

Bill Stanley wrote:

> How can I disable the pop-up menu on Xubuntu 12.04. I am referring to
> the menu that pops up at the bottom of the screen whenever the mouse
> moves to the bottom of the screen.

That sounds like the bottom panel, with the default set of suggested
apps. It's configured to auto-hide, which is why you only see it when
you move the mouse to the bottom of the screen.

You've got a couple options. One is to keep the panel where it is, but
make it always visible. (You can shrink it if it takes up too much
space that way.) Another is to move the panel to the left or
right borders of the screen. A third is to delete the panel completely.

If you move the mouse so that the panel appears, right-click to bring up
a menu. Somewhere on the menu will be a panel submenu. Click on "Panel
Preferences" (in the panel submenu). From there you can do any of the
above options. You'll probably need to unlock the panel first (also
under Panel Preferences). If you choose to delete the panel completely,
I recommend first reviewing what's on the panel--you might want to put
some of those items (e.g., the trash indicator) on the top panel.

regards,
mike