-   -   100% CPU (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/663447-100-cpu.html)

wcj9996 05-05-2012 05:55 PM

100% CPU

Hello:

I am running 10.04 on an AMD-64 CPU. I have been noticing a slowdown on
occasion for several months. System Monitor shows 100% CPU and more
network activity than I would expect. This occurs when Firefox and
Thunderbird are running. Running 'top' shows 'virtuoso-t' taking 46.9%
of CPU and two instances of 'nepomukservices' taking 18% and 15% of CPU.

Are these malware of some kind?

Thanks for your help.

walt

--
----- walt wcj9996@frontier.com -----

Sonny Golovine 05-05-2012 06:08 PM

100% CPU

Both virtuoso-t and nepomukservice are used by the indexing service in
KDE. The issue might be that you have added some files to your system
and KDE is still trying to index them. If that is not the case then go
into your KDE settings and disable file indexing, that should fix it. If
it doesn't then switch to GNOME or another desktop and see if the issue
persists.

Sonny Golovine
Writer at Tekkidd's Blog
--------------------------
sonny@tekkidd.com
http://tekkidd.com/
http://twitter.com/tekkidd
http://facebook.com/tekkiddblog
http://youtube.com/thetekkidd

"Cybe R. Wizard" 05-05-2012 06:09 PM

100% CPU

On Sat, 05 May 2012 10:55:17 -0700
wcj9996 <wcj9996@frontier.com> wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I am running 10.04 on an AMD-64 CPU. I have been noticing a slowdown
> on occasion for several months. System Monitor shows 100% CPU and
> more network activity than I would expect. This occurs when Firefox
> and Thunderbird are running. Running 'top' shows 'virtuoso-t'
> taking 46.9% of CPU and two instances of 'nepomukservices' taking
> 18% and 15% of CPU.
>
> Are these malware of some kind?

Malware, yes, in the fact that they are installed without your
knowledge/permission. Welcome to KDE. Master knows best.

> Thanks for your help.
>
> walt

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Isn't it a little ironic that, for such an intuitive environment,
Unity needs a wallpaper with hints?

Ric Moore 05-05-2012 08:49 PM

100% CPU