-   -   change permissions to copy pictures into backgrounds (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/663392-change-permissions-copy-pictures-into-backgrounds.html)

Thomas Blasejewicz 05-05-2012 02:36 PM

change permissions to copy pictures into backgrounds

Good evening
The other day I newly installed Ubuntu 12.04.
I tried to copy pictures into the default folder. I was denied access
(allowed to copy those files), because
I have not the right permissions.
Looking at the properties shows, that the "owner"is root.

I tried to find answers online, where I got "sudo naut ... " or
"sudo chmod ..." etc. but none of those tricks has worked yet.

I would love to have the option (apparently not available) to CHOOSE the
default folder for my wallpapers.
If that is not possible, I would like at least to be able to copy a
little something into the default folder.

What is the try, that will allow me to do so?

Thank you.

Colin Law 05-05-2012 03:17 PM

On 5 May 2012 15:36, Thomas Blasejewicz <thomas@s7.dion.ne.jp> wrote:
> Good evening
> The other day I newly installed Ubuntu 12.04.
> I tried to copy pictures into the default folder. I was denied access
> (allowed to copy those files), because
> I have not the right permissions.
> Looking at the properties shows, that the "owner"is root.
>
> I tried to find answers online, where I got "sudo naut ... " or
> "sudo chmod ..." etc. but none of those tricks has worked yet.
>
> I would love to have the option (apparently not available) to CHOOSE the
> default folder for my wallpapers.

If you are doing this in order to set the desktop background then put
the images into your Pictures folder, then right click the desktop and
select Change Desktop Background, Click where it says Wallpapers and
you will be given the option of fetching from your Pictures Folder.

Colin

"compdoc" 05-05-2012 03:26 PM

change permissions to copy pictures into backgrounds

> What is the try, that will allow me to do so?

Not sure I followed everything you were saying, but if you need to copy or
modify system files, (or root owed files) type into a term window: gksu
nautilus &

Also useful: gksu gedit &

The '&' allows the process to run in the background, although Nautilus does
not let go of the term window.