-   -   *Ubuntu suddenly fails to detect my printer, Samsung ML-1660 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/663113-ubuntu-suddenly-fails-detect-my-printer-samsung-ml-1660-a.html)

Bas Roufs - message in English 05-04-2012 04:15 PM

*Ubuntu suddenly fails to detect my printer, Samsung ML-1660

Hello Everybody,

When working with Kubuntu 11.04 and a few preceding versions, I have been able to print perfectly well with Samsung ML-1660 - along the lines of the instructions at Ubuntu Forums, at the page "HOWTO: Configure the Samsung ML-1660 for CUPS". However, in Kubuntu 11.10 and 12.04, the printer is not being recognised any more - even after exactly carrying out the instructions at HOWTO page mentioned above, *Ubuntu simply does not detect the printer. There must be some bug, because in a few preceding versions the printer detection worked flawlessly. At some forum, I saw the recommendation to install again some old Linux kernel - however, this caused various other complications. That's why,I hope to get ideas for other remedies or "workarounds" for this problem.

Thanks, respectfully yours,

Bas Roufs.
--

Bas G. Roufs MA

Van 't Hoffstraat 1

NL-3514 VT Utrecht

The Netherlands

E. BasRoufs@gmail.com

Mob. +31 6 446 835 10

Tel. +31 30 785 40

Skype, Google Talk: basroufs

Websites in construction:

BasRoufs.eu
Viaconsensus.nl
RainbowGathering.eu
Open source OS: Linux Kubuntu 12.04.

Bas Roufs - message in English 05-05-2012 09:33 PM

*Ubuntu suddenly fails to detect my printer, Samsung ML-1660

*

Hello Everybody

*

Yesterday, I wrote amongst others, this:

> When working with Kubuntu 11.04 and a few preceding versions, I have been

> able to print perfectly well with Samsung ML-1660 - along the lines of the

> instructions at Ubuntu Forums, at the page "HOWTO: Configure the Samsung

> ML-1660 for CUPS". However, in Kubuntu 11.10 and 12.04, the printer is not

> being recognised any more - even after exactly carrying out the

> instructions at HOWTO page mentioned above, *Ubuntu simply does not detect

> the printer.

*

Today, the problem seems to be solved for "80%". The system, Kubuntu 12.04, again recognises the printer. I do manage to print test pages. I also do manage to print from other applications - however, I often need to switch on and off the printer in order to get a page printed.

*

Respectfull yours,

Colin Law 05-06-2012 07:30 AM

On 5 May 2012 22:33, Bas Roufs - message in English <basroufs@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Everybody
>

> Yesterday, I wrote amongst others, this:
>
>> When working with Kubuntu 11.04 and a few preceding versions, I have been
>
>> able to print perfectly well with Samsung ML-1660 - along the lines of the
>
>> instructions at Ubuntu Forums, at the page "HOWTO: Configure the Samsung
>
>> ML-1660 for CUPS". However, in Kubuntu 11.10 and 12.04, the printer is not
>
>> being recognised any more - even after exactly carrying out the
>
>> instructions at HOWTO page mentioned above, *Ubuntu simply does not detect
>
>> the printer.
>

> Today, the problem seems to be solved for "80%". The system, Kubuntu 12.04,
> again recognises the printer. I do manage to print test pages. I also do
> manage to print from other applications - however, I often need to switch on
> and off the printer in order to get a page printed.

Have you considered the possibility that it is a problem with the
printer itself, or the cable, or the USB port on the PC?

Colin

Kaj Haulrich 05-06-2012 07:56 AM

*Ubuntu suddenly fails to detect my printer, Samsung ML-1660