Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Peter Hillier-Brook

Default Ubuntu Upgrade from 11.10. to 12.04

I recently upgraded as above and all went well with 2 exceptions.

1 Upgrade Manager went into an infinite loop during the attempted
download of the flash-plugin installer. Manual download outside of the
Upgrade Manager succeeded whilst the afore mentioned program was looping

2 The impertinent programmer struck again and modified my BIOS without
permission (as also happened during upgrade from 11.04 to 11.10). This
cannot be justified as any part of an upgrade process.

Before I raise bug reports I would like to canvas opinion and establish
if anyone else has bumped into these bugs.

Peter HB

Old 05-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 03/05/2012 17:53, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> I recently upgraded as above and all went well with 2 exceptions.
>
> 1 Upgrade Manager went into an infinite loop during the attempted
> download of the flash-plugin installer. Manual download outside of the
> Upgrade Manager succeeded whilst the afore mentioned program was looping

Strange, but maybe adobe's site was down? Mine upgraded, including
flash-plugins...

> 2 The impertinent programmer struck again and modified my BIOS
> without permission (as also happened during upgrade from 11.04 to
> 11.10). This cannot be justified as any part of an upgrade process.

That's even stranger. How could it have modified BIOS? And more
importantly, WHAT did it modify?

> Before I raise bug reports I would like to canvas opinion and
> establish if anyone else has bumped into these bugs.

Have you checked if there are similar reported bugs?

Gilles.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Peter Hillier-Brook

I recently upgraded as above and all went well with 2 exceptions.

1 Upgrade Manager went into an infinite loop during the attempted
download of the flash-plugin installer. Manual download outside of the
Upgrade Manager succeeded whilst the afore mentioned program was looping

Strange, but maybe adobe's site was down? Mine upgraded, including
flash-plugins...

Maybe you missed the part where I said, "Manual download outside of the
Update Manager succeeded *whilst* the afore mentioned program was looping?

2 The impertinent programmer struck again and modified my BIOS
without permission (as also happened during upgrade from 11.04 to
11.10). This cannot be justified as any part of an upgrade process.

That's even stranger. How could it have modified BIOS? And more
importantly, WHAT did it modify?

How it did it is simple enough, probably via assembler and a BIOS call,
and what it did was change the boot order of my SATA disks. To be
precise, it moved the disk with Ubuntu aboard (/dev/sdb) to the top of
the pile. I normally boot via /dev/sdc which contains my work-a-day
Kubuntu system and I get to Ubuntu (and Windows 7 on /dev/sda) when
necessary via grub.

Before I raise bug reports I would like to canvas opinion and
establish if anyone else has bumped into these bugs.

Have you checked if there are similar reported bugs?

I've never seen any, but...

Peter HB

Old 05-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Chris Green

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 06:29:55PM +0100, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> >That's even stranger. How could it have modified BIOS? And more
> >importantly, WHAT did it modify?
>
> How it did it is simple enough, probably via assembler and a BIOS
> call, and what it did was change the boot order of my SATA disks. To
> be precise, it moved the disk with Ubuntu aboard (/dev/sdb) to the
> top of the pile. I normally boot via /dev/sdc which contains my
> work-a-day Kubuntu system and I get to Ubuntu (and Windows 7 on
> /dev/sda) when necessary via grub.

The boot order can surely be altered by lots of things other than the
BIOS can't it?

--
Chris Green

Old 05-03-2012, 08:51 PM
Peter Hillier-Brook

On 03/05/12 18:42, Chris Green wrote:

On Thu, May 03, 2012 at 06:29:55PM +0100, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:

That's even stranger. How could it have modified BIOS? And more
importantly, WHAT did it modify?

How it did it is simple enough, probably via assembler and a BIOS
call, and what it did was change the boot order of my SATA disks. To
be precise, it moved the disk with Ubuntu aboard (/dev/sdb) to the
top of the pile. I normally boot via /dev/sdc which contains my
work-a-day Kubuntu system and I get to Ubuntu (and Windows 7 on
/dev/sda) when necessary via grub.

The boot order can surely be altered by lots of things other than the
BIOS can't it?

The boot order, as stored in the BIOS, was altered *during* the
distribution upgrade. Cause and effect seem fairly simple to deduce. ;-)

Peter HB

Old 05-04-2012, 04:36 AM
Gilles Gravier

Hi!

On 03/05/2012 19:29, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> On 03/05/12 17:18, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> On 03/05/2012 17:53, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>>> I recently upgraded as above and all went well with 2 exceptions.
>>>
>>> 1 Upgrade Manager went into an infinite loop during the attempted
>>> download of the flash-plugin installer. Manual download outside of the
>>> Upgrade Manager succeeded whilst the afore mentioned program was
>>> looping
>>
>> Strange, but maybe adobe's site was down? Mine upgraded, including
>> flash-plugins...
>
> Maybe you missed the part where I said, "Manual download outside of
> the Update Manager succeeded *whilst* the afore mentioned program was
> looping?
Nope. But when distupgrade tries to get the file it uses the repository.
Which is one server. When you do a manual download, you get it from
another server, probably...

>>> 2 The impertinent programmer struck again and modified my BIOS
>>> without permission (as also happened during upgrade from 11.04 to
>>> 11.10). This cannot be justified as any part of an upgrade process.
>>
>> That's even stranger. How could it have modified BIOS? And more
>> importantly, WHAT did it modify?
>
> How it did it is simple enough, probably via assembler and a BIOS
> call, and what it did was change the boot order of my SATA disks. To
> be precise, it moved the disk with Ubuntu aboard (/dev/sdb) to the top
> of the pile. I normally boot via /dev/sdc which contains my work-a-day
> Kubuntu system and I get to Ubuntu (and Windows 7 on /dev/sda) when
> necessary via grub.

Let me guess. You used a removeable disk to install it. Like a USB key?
Or a USB connected CD/DVD-ROM drive? Some BIOSes automatically
reorganize disks when you have or remove such drive between boots. My
Shuttle with AWARD BIOS certainly does.

Other option is that maybe what was reorganized is not at BIOS level,
but just the fact that Ubuntu made a different disk's partition "ACTIVE"
and so the PC is booting on the partition marked at "ACTIVE" by default?
Or did you really go to BIOS and check the physical order of disks (in
which case, check for the previous point - run the machine... plug a USB
attached storage... reboot the machine with disk still attached... and
notice order of boot disks in BIOS... reboot again leaving the disk
attached... turn off the machine... remove the disk and reboot... notice
the BIOS message saying that storage devices were changed...)

Gilles.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Peter Hillier-Brook

On 04/05/12 05:36, Gilles Gravier wrote:

[...]

Conceivable, but looping for several hours suggests a missing timer
somewhere, wouldn't you say?

[...]

Not so. USB is not involved at any level and the BIOS was
programmatically modified. An interesting "confession" has just appeared
on a GRUB list so I'll take this issue over there. Thanks for your interest.

Other option is that maybe what was reorganized is not at BIOS level,
but just the fact that Ubuntu made a different disk's partition "ACTIVE"
and so the PC is booting on the partition marked at "ACTIVE" by default?
Or did you really go to BIOS and check the physical order of disks (in
which case, check for the previous point - run the machine... plug a USB
attached storage... reboot the machine with disk still attached... and
notice order of boot disks in BIOS... reboot again leaving the disk
attached... turn off the machine... remove the disk and reboot... notice
the BIOS message saying that storage devices were changed...)

See above, but just to answer this point, what would Ubuntu be doing
setting a partition Active when this status is only of interest to MS
products? And I don't think I'll source a USB device just to prove the
latter point. ;-)

Peter HB