FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-02-2012, 04:56 PM
Bill Stanley
 
Default AMD 64 bit version?

My computer has an Intel I7 processor. I have been using the AMD 64
version of Ubuntu without any problems that I can see. It has come to
my attention that this version is for AMD processors. Are there any
problems with using the AMD 64 version on an Intel I7 processor? Is
there a better choice for Intel I7 processors? Obviously the 32 bit
version is incorrect but 32 bit PAE also seems incorrect when the 64 bit
version is available. Also, if the 64 bit version is the correct choice
for non-AMD 64 bit processors, why confuse things with the AMD designation?


Bill Stanley

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-02-2012, 05:03 PM
David Fletcher
 
Default AMD 64 bit version?

On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 12:56 -0400, Bill Stanley wrote:
> My computer has an Intel I7 processor. I have been using the AMD 64
> version of Ubuntu without any problems that I can see. It has come to
> my attention that this version is for AMD processors. Are there any
> problems with using the AMD 64 version on an Intel I7 processor? Is
> there a better choice for Intel I7 processors? Obviously the 32 bit
> version is incorrect but 32 bit PAE also seems incorrect when the 64 bit
> version is available. Also, if the 64 bit version is the correct choice
> for non-AMD 64 bit processors, why confuse things with the AMD designation?
>
> Bill Stanley
>

I don't understand it either. I've been running 64 bit 12.04 on my Atom
processor netbook for the last couple of months and it's fine.

Dave



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Paulo Sampaio
 
Default AMD 64 bit version?

Hello Bill,

Don't worry, the architecture "amd_64" is also used by intel, and other manufacturers, you can learn more about it at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64



Atenciosamente,
__
Paulo Sampaio
http://devio.us/~psampaio/




2012/5/2 Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com>

My computer has an Intel I7 processor. *I have been using the AMD 64 version of Ubuntu without any problems that I can see. *It has come to my attention that this version is for AMD processors. *Are there any problems with using the AMD 64 version on an Intel I7 processor? *Is there a better choice for Intel I7 processors? *Obviously the 32 bit version is incorrect but 32 bit PAE also seems incorrect when the 64 bit version is available. *Also, if the 64 bit version is the correct choice for non-AMD 64 bit processors, why confuse things with the AMD designation?




Bill Stanley



--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Jim Byrnes
 
Default AMD 64 bit version?

On 05/02/2012 11:56 AM, Bill Stanley wrote:

My computer has an Intel I7 processor. I have been using the AMD 64
version of Ubuntu without any problems that I can see. It has come to my
attention that this version is for AMD processors. Are there any
problems with using the AMD 64 version on an Intel I7 processor? Is
there a better choice for Intel I7 processors? Obviously the 32 bit
version is incorrect but 32 bit PAE also seems incorrect when the 64 bit
version is available. Also, if the 64 bit version is the correct choice
for non-AMD 64 bit processors, why confuse things with the AMD designation?

Bill Stanley



That is the correct choice and it is for INTEL or AMD. If I remember
what I read here correctly it is named that way because AMD was first to
market with 64bit.


Regards, Jim


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-03-2012, 01:01 AM
Lance
 
Default AMD 64 bit version?

as they said, it s just a method of definition because of its history.just check out the wiki page as above

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:10 AM, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:

On 05/02/2012 11:56 AM, Bill Stanley wrote:


My computer has an Intel I7 processor. I have been using the AMD 64

version of Ubuntu without any problems that I can see. It has come to my

attention that this version is for AMD processors. Are there any

problems with using the AMD 64 version on an Intel I7 processor? Is

there a better choice for Intel I7 processors? Obviously the 32 bit

version is incorrect but 32 bit PAE also seems incorrect when the 64 bit

version is available. Also, if the 64 bit version is the correct choice

for non-AMD 64 bit processors, why confuse things with the AMD designation?



Bill Stanley






That is the correct choice and it is for INTEL or AMD. If I remember what I read here correctly it is named that way because AMD was first to market with 64bit.



Regards, *Jim





--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
Plz send email when you cannt reach me.





--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-03-2012, 01:40 PM
"Amedee Van Gasse"
 
Default AMD 64 bit version?

On Wed, May 2, 2012 18:56, Bill Stanley wrote:
> My computer has an Intel I7 processor. I have been using the AMD 64
> version of Ubuntu without any problems that I can see. It has come to
> my attention that this version is for AMD processors. Are there any
> problems with using the AMD 64 version on an Intel I7 processor? Is
> there a better choice for Intel I7 processors? Obviously the 32 bit
> version is incorrect but 32 bit PAE also seems incorrect when the 64 bit
> version is available. Also, if the 64 bit version is the correct choice
> for non-AMD 64 bit processors, why confuse things with the AMD
> designation?

Because AMD was first to have the kind of 64 bit processors that we have
today, and the name stuck.

It's sort of the same reason why all pain killers with salicylic acid are
called aspirin, even though not every box of aspirin you buy at the
pharmacist is produced by Bayer.


-----------------------------------------
This email was sent using SquirrelMail.
"Webmail for nuts!"
http://squirrelmail.org/


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Paulo Sampaio
 
Default AMD 64 bit version?

That is nor correct, Intel has the IA64, for the Itanium processor.

The name didn't 'stuck', every x86_64 or amd_64 processor follows technical specifications created by AMD, Intel pays AMD for this.


Atenciosamente,
__
Paulo Sampaio
http://devio.us/~psampaio/




2012/5/3 Amedee Van Gasse <amedee-ubuntu@amedee.be>

On Wed, May 2, 2012 18:56, Bill Stanley wrote:

> My computer has an Intel I7 processor. *I have been using the AMD 64

> version of Ubuntu without any problems that I can see. *It has come to

> my attention that this version is for AMD processors. *Are there any

> problems with using the AMD 64 version on an Intel I7 processor? *Is

> there a better choice for Intel I7 processors? *Obviously the 32 bit

> version is incorrect but 32 bit PAE also seems incorrect when the 64 bit

> version is available. *Also, if the 64 bit version is the correct choice

> for non-AMD 64 bit processors, why confuse things with the AMD

> designation?



Because AMD was first to have the kind of 64 bit processors that we have

today, and the name stuck.



It's sort of the same reason why all pain killers with salicylic acid are

called aspirin, even though not every box of aspirin you buy at the

pharmacist is produced by Bayer.





-----------------------------------------

This email was sent using SquirrelMail.

* "Webmail for nuts!"

http://squirrelmail.org/





--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users



--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-03-2012, 02:04 PM
"compdoc"
 
Default AMD 64 bit version?

> That is nor correct, Intel has the IA64, for the Itanium processor.
*
The Itanium is not a 'consumer' or desktop cpu. Systems containing the Itanium and the OS it needs to run would not have been affordable for the average user back then.
*
If it were not for AMD, you would be paying through the nose for 64 bits, as well as for virtual technology.
*
*
--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 05-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Paulo Sampaio
 
Default AMD 64 bit version?

Still Intel has 64bit technology, not for mortals like us, but has it.

Atenciosamente,
__
Paulo Sampaio
http://devio.us/~psampaio/




2012/5/3 compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com>

> That is nor correct, Intel has the IA64, for the Itanium processor.

*
The Itanium is not a 'consumer' or desktop cpu. Systems containing the Itanium and the OS it needs to run would not have been affordable for the average user back then.

*
If it were not for AMD, you would be paying through the nose for 64 bits, as well as for virtual technology.

*
*

--

ubuntu-users mailing list

ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users




--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:04 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org