Old 05-01-2012, 04:45 PM
Tero Mäntyvaara

Default Two server high available cluster

Hi,

I am planning to set up two server Ubuntu cluster. I was thinking to run
following services:

* BIND
* Samba
* DHCPD
* MySQL
* LDAP
* Apache HTTP
* IP Router

My goals are 1) to set up two servers so, that one is in production use
and the other can be used in testing and 2) have fail over functionality
so, that services can be used without interupts as much as possible.

Both servers have two LAN interfaces. Which software should I use? How
do I set up filesystem so that it is usable even when a secondary server
acts as primary?

Tero

Old 05-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Avi Greenbury

Tero Mäntyvaara wrote:

> Both servers have two LAN interfaces. Which software should I use?

Generally, pacemaker seems to be popular here. You want to be pretty
confident already in running a single server before putting together a
redundant pair - clustering is not simple in itself, let alone doing it
while learning the quirks of the software you're trying to cluster.

> How do I set up filesystem so that it is usable even when a secondary
> server acts as primary?

Use DRBD and a clustered filesystem like OCFS2. You may find it simpler
(and more available) to use something like csync2 rather than
block-level replication, depending on the rate at which you expect to
be changing files.

--
Avi