-   -   xubuntu 12.04 and webmin (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/661744-xubuntu-12-04-webmin.html)

"Joep L. Blom" 05-01-2012 10:58 AM

xubuntu 12.04 and webmin

HI,
I installed xubuntu as guest in vmware (works like a charm only don't
use Easy Install) and it runs reasonably stable.
However, first I was annoyed by the ubuntu software center that shows me
a list of advertisements which is IMO very much against Open Source
etiquette. I became much more annoyed when I couldn't find my standard
management tool Webmin in the repositories. I found a lot of useless and
buggy applications and many superfluous or old.
Luckily Gkrellm ( one of my most valuable tools) is still in the
repository and it is 2.3.5 which is reasonably recent.

So why is one of the best admin tools not in the repositories?
(Maybe Oliver Grawert knows the answer?)
Joep

Colin Law 05-01-2012 11:14 AM

xubuntu 12.04 and webmin

On 1 May 2012 11:58, Joep L. Blom <jlblom@neuroweave.nl> wrote:
> HI,
> I installed xubuntu as guest in vmware (works like a charm only don't use
> Easy Install) and it runs reasonably stable.
> However, first I was annoyed by the ubuntu software center that shows me a
> list of advertisements which is IMO very much against Open Source etiquette.
> I became much more annoyed when I couldn't find my standard management tool
> Webmin in the repositories. I found a lot of useless and buggy applications
> and many superfluous or old.
> Luckily Gkrellm ( one of my most valuable tools) is still in the repository
> and it is 2.3.5 which is reasonably recent.
> So why is one of the best admin tools not in the repositories?
> (Maybe Oliver Grawert knows the answer?)

Googling for webmin ubuntu 12.04 found this
http://www.unixmen.com/201204-install-webmin-in-ubuntu-12-04/
though I cannot vouch for it.

Colin

Patrick Asselman 05-01-2012 11:14 AM

xubuntu 12.04 and webmin

I installed xubuntu as guest in vmware (works like a charm only don't
use Easy Install) and it runs reasonably stable.
However, first I was annoyed by the ubuntu software center that shows
me a list of advertisements which is IMO very much against Open
Source
etiquette. I became much more annoyed when I couldn't find my
standard

management tool Webmin in the repositories. I found a lot of useless
and buggy applications and many superfluous or old.
Luckily Gkrellm ( one of my most valuable tools) is still in the
repository and it is 2.3.5 which is reasonably recent.
So why is one of the best admin tools not in the repositories?
(Maybe Oliver Grawert knows the answer?)
Joep

If I recall correctly, this was already the case in earlier versions.
You need to fiddle with your /etc/apt/sources.list
Something on this page might help: http://www.webmin.com/deb.html

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman

Chuck Peters 05-01-2012 11:16 AM

xubuntu 12.04 and webmin

I installed xubuntu as guest in vmware (works like a charm only don't use Easy Install) and it runs reasonably stable.

However, first I was annoyed by the ubuntu software center that shows me a list of advertisements which is IMO very much against Open Source etiquette. I became much more annoyed when I couldn't find my standard management tool Webmin in the repositories. I found a lot of useless and buggy applications and many superfluous or old.

Luckily Gkrellm ( one of my most valuable tools) is still in the repository and it is 2.3.5 which is reasonably recent.

So why is one of the best admin tools not in the repositories?

(Maybe Oliver Grawert knows the answer?)

Joep

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WebMin
The main reason it isn't in Ubuntu is the package was not maintained in Debian and the Debian Developer who had been maintaining it requested its removal a few years ago. *It appears you can get a deb from webmin. *I have no idea how well it is maintained and I wouldn't consider using it myself without further research. *It can be dangerous to allow an application like webmin to modify files.

Chuck

"compdoc" 05-01-2012 01:31 PM

xubuntu 12.04 and webmin

>. I found a lot of useless and buggy applications and many superfluous or
old.

Which is exactly what people are saying about Webmin...

Patrick Asselman 05-01-2012 01:48 PM

xubuntu 12.04 and webmin

. I found a lot of useless and buggy applications and many
superfluous or

old.

Which is exactly what people are saying about Webmin...

Interesting... so what would be a better alternative to Webmin?

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman

"Joep L. Blom" 05-01-2012 09:17 PM

xubuntu 12.04 and webmin