Old 05-02-2012, 06:09 PM
"Joep L. Blom"

Default xubuntu 12.04 and webmin

On 02-05-12 16:19, compdoc wrote:

However, a sentence beginning with: "they say that.."
and than some uncontrollable statement is also not very trustworthy.

Dismissing information because of the way someone says it does not sound an
ideal way to deal with information.

It's always nice when someone takes the (sometimes considerable) time to do
your research for you, but no one should depend solely on the generosity of
others.

Of course I agree that webmin has his peculiarities if you don't know
what you do it can make your system unusable.

It would be interesting to know how many computer professionals use Webmin.
Anyone care to comment?

compdoc,
Thanks for your reply. However, I think you misunderstood me. Of course
if the "they" are indicated as e.g. " the investigators of.." or at
least an indication is given on what for information the conclusions of
"they" is founded ( and where it can be found) then your remark is
correct. There is too much hearsay information based on nothing or
non-sense (in the literal meaning of the word). I realise, however, that
such a more scientific attitude is often not appreciated. People like to
believe what they want to believe (again referring to political speak)
as we in my country (the Netherlands) has suffered of the last 18 months.

I also am curious which system managers use Webmin.
Joep

Old 05-03-2012, 01:18 AM
NoOp

On 05/01/2012 03:58 AM, Joep L. Blom wrote:
> However, first I was annoyed by the ubuntu software center that shows me
> a list of advertisements which is IMO very much against Open Source
> etiquette.

+1

Ubuntu is now advertiser sponsored... I reckon that they've taken the
Google/Yahoo/advertiser approach. I wonder if they have a 'paid' version
that doesn't include commercial crap.

> I became much more annoyed when I couldn't find my standard
> management tool Webmin in the repositories.

You'd have to go way back to find Webmin in the repositories:

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/328324>
Jamie Cameron can probably fill you in on the rest...

Check the archives for this list as it's certainly been discussed in the
past :-) IIRC all of the hoopla regarding Webmin back in 2005-2008 was
addressed by the developer. My guess is that bad blood from that kept it
from getting packaged afterwards.

For 12.04:
http://webmin.com/
[Webmin development version 1.587 with Ubuntu 12.04 support]

Perhaps you modify your webmin repos to point to the devel area?
http://download.webmin.com/devel/deb/

> I found a lot of useless and
> buggy applications and many superfluous or old.

What others did you try?
Ubuntu were flogging ebox. ebox ended up as commercial zentyal:
http://www.zentyal.com/en
and of course there is a commercial tie between Canonical/Ubuntu and zental:
<http://www.zentyal.com/?s=ubuntu>
<http://www.zentyal.com/en/services/ubuntu-advantage/>
"Zentyal, as an authorized reseller of Canonical, offers Ubuntu
Advantage to ..."
And of course if nobody convinced that Zentyal is pretty much
hand-in-hand with Canonical, check out the newly announced Zentyal
Community Council:
<http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Structure/CommunityCouncil>
Wonder where they got the idea of a 'Community Council'? Drum roll please...
<http://trac.zentyal.org/wiki/Structure/Governance.
"SABDFL

This is not a democracy, it's a meritocracy.
...>
Don't worry, you can buy the book:
https://store.zentyal.com/training/book-admin-en.html

Maybe Webmin/Jamie Cameron wasn't sufficiently polished, or didn't cut a
deal with Canonical/Ubuntu/SABDFL?