Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 AM
Jared Norris

Default Need Help regarding packaging & Deployment of Java Application For Linux !!!!

On 1 May 2012 19:48, Navdeep Singh Sidhu <navdeepsingh.sidhu95@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I need some suggestions & help for my project. I am making an application
> more as Download Manager in JAVA for Linux. But i am not so expert in Linux
> so i need to know following things:
> 1. how can i install this application in Linux ?
> 2. how to add in startup programs ?
> 3. Which is best* to create installer script(.sh) or .deb/.rpm file for JAVA
> application?
> 4. How to create Launcher for Java Application in Linux?
>
> My project is about to complete. So if any body have answers regarding my
> question please reply asap.
>
> Thanks in advance!!!!!!
>
> Regards
>
> Navdeep Singh.

I'm not a developer myself so I don't have any first hand experience.
Your best bet might be looking at the resources available at
http://developer.ubuntu.com/ to see how best to get your application
into Ubuntu.

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

Old 05-01-2012, 02:31 PM
James Plate

On 05/01/2012 05:55 AM, Jared Norris wrote:
> On 1 May 2012 19:48, Navdeep Singh Sidhu <navdeepsingh.sidhu95@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I need some suggestions & help for my project. I am making an application
>> more as Download Manager in JAVA for Linux. But i am not so expert in Linux
>> so i need to know following things:
>> 1. how can i install this application in Linux ?
>> 2. how to add in startup programs ?
>> 3. Which is best to create installer script(.sh) or .deb/.rpm file for JAVA
>> application?
>> 4. How to create Launcher for Java Application in Linux?
>>
>> My project is about to complete. So if any body have answers regarding my
>> question please reply asap.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!!!!!!
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Navdeep Singh.
>>

>> --
>>
> I'm not a developer myself so I don't have any first hand experience.
> Your best bet might be looking at the resources available at
> http://developer.ubuntu.com/ to see how best to get your application
> into Ubuntu.

You may also be interested in
http://developer.ubuntu.com/packaging/html/getting-set-up.html since it
will explain how to get the required tools to build your package and as
you carry on through each successive page how to upload your packages
and source to launchpad. I'd think (just an opinion) your best route
would be to host your packages on your launchpad account (You're allowed
2 GB in a public ppa with your personal launchpad account).