Old 04-30-2012, 11:33 PM
Robert Spanjaard

Default Transmission won't start in Startup Applications

I've added Transmission to my Startup Applications by entering

transmission-gtk -m

as the executable, with -m to start minimized.
This command works fine from a terminal, but it refuses to start from the
Startup Applications list. I also tried entering

/usr/bin/transmission-gtk -m

but it still won't start when I log in. What am I doing wrong?

Screenshot of the entry window:
http://www.arumes.com/temp/Screenshot_SA_Transmission.png

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 05-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Robert Spanjaard

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 23:33:39 +0000, Robert Spanjaard wrote:

> I've added Transmission to my Startup Applications by entering
>
> transmission-gtk -m
>
> as the executable, with -m to start minimized.
> This command works fine from a terminal, but it refuses to start from
> the Startup Applications list. I also tried entering
>
> /usr/bin/transmission-gtk -m
>
> but it still won't start when I log in. What am I doing wrong?
>
> Screenshot of the entry window:
> http://www.arumes.com/temp/Screenshot_SA_Transmission.png

Not a single response?
Is there absolutely nothing I can do at this point?
Not even logfiles anyone knows that I can check?

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 05-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Colin Law

On 5 May 2012 12:09, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap@arumes.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 23:33:39 +0000, Robert Spanjaard wrote:
>
>> I've added Transmission to my Startup Applications by entering
>>
>> * *transmission-gtk -m
>>
>> as the executable, with -m to start minimized.
>> This command works fine from a terminal, but it refuses to start from
>> the Startup Applications list. I also tried entering
>>
>> * */usr/bin/transmission-gtk -m
>>
>> but it still won't start when I log in. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>> Screenshot of the entry window:
>> http://www.arumes.com/temp/Screenshot_SA_Transmission.png
>
> Not a single response?
> Is there absolutely nothing I can do at this point?
> Not even logfiles anyone knows that I can check?

Instead of running it directly try making a script file that contains
the command followed by the command
read
which will pause until you hit a key. Run the script from a terminal
to make sure it works, then run it as a startup app using the command
gnome-terminal --command=/path/to/script
then after you login the terminal window should still be there with
any errors generated.

Before you do that though, just a thought. Are you connecting via
wifi? In which case is the problem caused by running the program
before the connection is active?

Colin

Old 05-05-2012, 06:52 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Sat, 05 May 2012 16:02:17 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

> On 5 May 2012 12:09, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap@arumes.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 23:33:39 +0000, Robert Spanjaard wrote:
>>
>>> I've added Transmission to my Startup Applications by entering
>>>
>>> * *transmission-gtk -m
>>>
>>> as the executable, with -m to start minimized.
>>> This command works fine from a terminal, but it refuses to start from
>>> the Startup Applications list. I also tried entering
>>>
>>> * */usr/bin/transmission-gtk -m
>>>
>>> but it still won't start when I log in. What am I doing wrong?
>>>
>>> Screenshot of the entry window:
>>> http://www.arumes.com/temp/Screenshot_SA_Transmission.png
>>
>> Not a single response?
>> Is there absolutely nothing I can do at this point?
>> Not even logfiles anyone knows that I can check?
>
> Instead of running it directly try making a script file that contains
> the command followed by the command read which will pause until you hit
> a key. Run the script from a terminal to make sure it works, then run
> it as a startup app using the command gnome-terminal
> --command=/path/to/script then after you login the terminal window
> should still be there with any errors generated.

That didn't work either. Just like Transmission, the gnome-terminal
command wouldn't start.

Instead, I completely deleted the entry in the Startup Applications menu,
and created a new one. Now, it's working. But we'll never find out what
caused the problem.

> Before you do that though, just a thought. Are you connecting via wifi?
> In which case is the problem caused by running the program before the
> connection is active?

That shouldn't make any difference. Transmission's execution doesn't
depend on a network connection.

But thanks anyway. :-)

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com

Old 05-05-2012, 08:29 PM
Colin Law

On 5 May 2012 19:52, Robert Spanjaard <spamtrap@arumes.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 05 May 2012 16:02:17 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

>>> Not a single response?
>>> Is there absolutely nothing I can do at this point?
>>> Not even logfiles anyone knows that I can check?
>>
>> Instead of running it directly try making a script file that contains
>> the command followed by the command read which will pause until you hit
>> a key. *Run the script from a terminal to make sure it works, then run
>> it as a startup app using the command gnome-terminal
>> --command=/path/to/script then after you login the terminal window
>> should still be there with any errors generated.
>
> That didn't work either. Just like Transmission, the gnome-terminal
> command wouldn't start.
>
> Instead, I completely deleted the entry in the Startup Applications menu,
> and created a new one. Now, it's working. But we'll never find out what
> caused the problem.

Perhaps you somehow had got an unprintable character in the command
and that caused a problem.

Colin

Old 05-05-2012, 08:42 PM
Michael Miles

> On Sat, 05 May 2012 16:02:17 +0100, Colin Law wrote:

>>> Not a single response?
>>> Is there absolutely nothing I can do at this point?
>>> Not even logfiles anyone knows that I can check?
>>
>> Instead of running it directly try making a script file that contains
>> the command followed by the command read which will pause until you
>> hit a key. Run the script from a terminal to make sure it works,
>> then run it as a startup app using the command gnome-terminal
>> --command=/path/to/script then after you login the terminal window
>> should still be there with any errors generated.
>
> That didn't work either. Just like Transmission, the gnome-terminal
> command wouldn't start.
>
> Instead, I completely deleted the entry in the Startup Applications
> menu, and created a new one. Now, it's working. But we'll never find
> out what caused the problem.

Perhaps you somehow had got an unprintable character in the command and that caused a problem.

Colin

Glad to see it has worked out...
I have big problems with transmission and Deluge is the bittorrent client of Choice for me with Linux systems

Give it a go. I know you will like it