-   -   Application starter for gpsman? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/661603-application-starter-gpsman.html)

David Fletcher 04-30-2012 10:24 PM

Application starter for gpsman?

I've installed gpsman from the repositories. I've only recently started
using 12.04 and I'm assuming that to get an application starter on the
desktop I need to find it in Dash Home and drag the icon to the column
on the left? I've done this with Chrome and it works fine but the only
way I can get gpsman to start up is to use the terminal. Dash Home seems
to know nothing about it.

I'm an occasional leader for the local walking club, some of the members
of which are starting to take an interest in my use of the Garmin Etrex
Legend HCx for planning and navigating walks, and saying that presenting
a short course would be a good idea.

It would look far more professional if I had a proper application
starter, so, anybody know how to do it please?

Dave

Colin Law 05-01-2012 06:58 AM

On 30 April 2012 23:24, David Fletcher <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
> I've installed gpsman from the repositories. I've only recently started
> using 12.04 and I'm assuming that to get an application starter on the
> desktop I need to find it in Dash Home and drag the icon to the column
> on the left? I've done this with Chrome and it works fine but the only
> way I can get gpsman to start up is to use the terminal. Dash Home seems
> to know nothing about it.
>
> I'm an occasional leader for the local walking club, some of the members
> of which are starting to take an interest in my use of the Garmin Etrex
> Legend HCx for planning and navigating walks, and saying that presenting
> a short course would be a good idea.
>
> It would look far more professional if I had a proper application
> starter, so, anybody know how to do it please?

Once you start it does it appear in the launcher? If so then right
click it on the launcher and select Keep in Launcher (or something
like that, I forget the exact words) then it will stay there. If it
does not appear in the launcher then submit a bug. Also submit a bug
for the fact that you cannot find it in the dash.

Colin

NoOp 05-02-2012 11:20 PM

On 04/30/2012 03:24 PM, David Fletcher wrote:
> I've installed gpsman from the repositories. I've only recently started
> using 12.04 and I'm assuming that to get an application starter on the
> desktop I need to find it in Dash Home and drag the icon to the column
> on the left? I've done this with Chrome and it works fine but the only
> way I can get gpsman to start up is to use the terminal. Dash Home seems
> to know nothing about it.

That is because gpsman starts from a terminal only:
<http://gpsman.sourceforge.net/manual/html/GPSMandoc_14.html>

gpsman from a terminal calls the shell /usr/lib/gpsman/gpsman.tcl

You can create your own for the desktop:

$ gnome-desktop-item-edit ~/Desktop/ --create-new

Name: GPSMan
Command: /usr/lib/gpsman/gpsman.tcl
The icon is in /usr/lib/gpsman/gmicons/gpsman-logo.gif

ctrk-right-click on the desktop icon & drag to the launcher...