Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Colin Law

Default Serious upgrade problem! My computer previously was 64 bit and now is 32 bit.

On 30 April 2012 18:01, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> Having established that the OS upgrade is in error, I now have to manually
> change from the 32 bit version to the 64 bit version without losing my data.
> *Not having to completely replace the OS before, I would like instructions
> on how best to proceed.

When you start the install choose Something Else and then select Mount
Point / for the partition that currently has your system, but do /not/
select Format. Then when you do the install it will erase and replace
the system stuff but will not overwrite /home so your data should not
be lost.

Colin

Old 04-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Jared Norris

On 1 May 2012 03:01, Bill Stanley <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:
> Last week, I finally upgraded through two upgrades to the most recent
> version on Ubuntu. *I had some serious window manager problems (and still
> do). *But in my hunt for the cause of my window problem I discovered
> something far more serious.
>
> The "System Info" (in the "system settings" menu) application reports that
> the operating system is the 32 bit version. *Either the system info is wrong
> or the upgrade program was wrong. *It is probable that the upgrade program
> was wrong because other utilities also report that the OS is 32 bit. *Now
> probably most 64 bit upgrades were right (I don't know) but for my computer,
> the upgrade replaced a 64 bit OS with a 32 bit OS. *(I am certain that the
> original OS was the 64 bit version.)
>
> I also notice that the boot time is significantly longer. *The boot time for
> the original installation, 10.10, (turning on,logging in and finally being
> able to run applications) was less than 30 seconds. *For this version
> upgrade (version 11.10) the boot time can be as much as 3 to 4 minutes.
> *This might be due to the wrong OS being used.
>
> Having established that the OS upgrade is in error, I now have to manually
> change from the 32 bit version to the 64 bit version without losing my data.
> *Not having to completely replace the OS before, I would like instructions
> on how best to proceed.
>
> Bill Stanley

I'm guessing you didn't read the release notes [1] and hit the bug
described in the known issues for 64 bit users. So yes, there are
serious upgrade issues (there generally always are some) but they are
documented for users to read.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PrecisePangolin/ReleaseNotes/UbuntuDesktop#Known_Issues

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris