Old 04-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Dave Stevens

Default live forensics spin? advice?

A few months ago a client asked me to wipe a disk prior to disposing
of an unused windows box. I used DBAN and as far as I could see the
erasure worked fine.

Now he wants me to try to recover the data ("No, I don't need a
backup, I've taken off all I want!") So I thought that since the unit
isn't connected to the internet and isn't likely to be any time soon,
that I'd try a live foresnics spin to see if any data is detectable.
Does anyone care to recommend one? Or have an opinion about how better
to proceed?

Dave

--
It is told that such are the aerodynamics and wing loading of the
bumblebee that, in principle, it cannot fly...if all this be

-- John Kenneth Galbraith, in American Capitalism: The Concept of
Countervailing Power

Old 04-30-2012, 06:19 PM
William Scott Lockwood III

On Apr 30, 2012 2:14 PM, "Dave Stevens" <geek@uniserve.com> wrote:

> A few months ago a client asked me to wipe a disk prior to disposing of an unused windows box. I used DBAN and as far as I could see the erasure worked fine.

> Now he wants me to try to recover the data ("No, I don't need a backup, I've taken off all I want!") So I thought that since the unit isn't connected to the internet and isn't likely to be any time soon, that I'd try a live foresnics spin to see if any data is detectable. Does anyone care to recommend one? Or have an opinion about how better to proceed?

> Dave

How was DBAN run on this? If you are able to recover any data at all, I would very much like to know about it. Outside of electron microscopy, it shouldn't be possible to recover anything if DBAN did it's job.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:23 PM
Dave Stevens

Quoting William Scott Lockwood III <vladinator@gmail.com>:

A few months ago a client asked me to wipe a disk prior to disposing of

an unused windows box. I used DBAN and as far as I could see the erasure
worked fine.

Now he wants me to try to recover the data ("No, I don't need a backup,

I've taken off all I want!") So I thought that since the unit isn't
connected to the internet and isn't likely to be any time soon, that I'd
try a live foresnics spin to see if any data is detectable. Does anyone
care to recommend one? Or have an opinion about how better to proceed?

Dave

How was DBAN run on this? If you are able to recover any data at all, I
would very much like to know about it. Outside of electron microscopy, it
shouldn't be possible to recover anything if DBAN did it's job.

well, as I recall, pretty much RTFM and so on. Just did what the
instructions said - downloaded, ran dd and rebooted and ran with it.
BIOS subsequently detected it but I couldn't see anything. Mind you I
didn't expect to either so I didn't look very hard.