Old 04-30-2012, 05:36 PM

Default clean upgrade, what is the minimum

Greetings all:

I am planning on upgrading my netbook by doing a clean install and restoring portions of /home from backup. But my intention is to restore as little as possible to eliminate years of cruft. From my /home/patton directory, all I think I need (aside from documents of course) is my email .thunderbird and .ssh for my various keys. In another thread, it was suggested to include bits and pieces from /etc and /var. What would I need from those directories? Is there something else I'm missing?

Thanks

PE

Old 05-01-2012, 02:58 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 2:36 PM, <p.echols@comcast.net> wrote:
> Greetings all:
>
> I am planning on upgrading my netbook by doing a clean install and restoring portions of /home from backup. *But my intention is to restore as little as possible to eliminate years of cruft. *From my /home/patton directory, all I think I need (aside from documents of course) is my email .thunderbird and .ssh for my various keys. *In another thread, it was suggested to include bits and pieces from /etc and /var. *What would I need from those directories? *Is there something else I'm missing?

The other day I did exactly this and among other things, before
Precise install, included in my new /home the following folders:

.gnupg (PGP keys)
.mozilla (after cleaning the cache - if you do sync it)
.purple (Pidgin)
.dosemu
.dropbox
.Skype
.ssh
.thunderbird (after compacting accounts)
.Virtualbox
.vmware

However, if you intend to keep your current home and root for a while,
it is possible, in some cases, to import (or check) the older
configuration files even after the install, (I had to do it with
.mozilla and .gnupg).

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Open Source Implementation

Old 05-01-2012, 09:15 AM
Patrick Asselman

I am planning on upgrading my netbook by doing a clean install and
restoring portions of /home from backup. But my intention is to
restore as little as possible to eliminate years of cruft. From my
/home/patton directory, all I think I need (aside from documents of
course) is my email .thunderbird and .ssh for my various keys. In
another thread, it was suggested to include bits and pieces from /etc
and /var. What would I need from those directories? Is there
something else I'm missing?

Thanks

PE

It depends on what software you use and how attached you are to the
settings of that software.
If you run a webserver (not likely on a netbook, but I'm uninspired for
a better example) you may want to restore /etc/apache*.

Maybe you can just do a clean install, and then see what you are
missing, and restore things as needed?

Best regards,
Patrick Asselman

Old 05-02-2012, 12:07 AM
Patton Echols

[...]

Ahh, some good points I had forgotten. like .gnupg and .Skype

I still cannot think of what I might want out of /var or /etc. I
suppose I can rummage around and see what I might be missing.

Thanks,

-- PE