Old 04-30-2012, 05:09 PM
Chris Green

Default Serious upgrade problem! My computer previously was 64 bit and now is 32 bit.

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 01:01:20PM -0400, Bill Stanley wrote:
[snip tale of woe]

> I also notice that the boot time is significantly longer. The boot
> time for the original installation, 10.10, (turning on,logging in
> and finally being able to run applications) was less than 30
> seconds. For this version upgrade (version 11.10) the boot time can
> be as much as 3 to 4 minutes. This might be due to the wrong OS
> being used.

You can't upgrade directly from version 10.10 to version 11.10 so I
suspect something else has happened.

> Having established that the OS upgrade is in error, I now have to
> manually change from the 32 bit version to the 64 bit version
> without losing my data. Not having to completely replace the OS
> before, I would like instructions on how best to proceed.

You will always lose *some* settings and stuff.

You need to back up /home, /etc and /var, to somewhere *off* the system
you are restoring. Then do a clean install of the OS you want, then
restore /home from your backups and the bits and pieces needed from /etc
and /var.

--
Chris Green