Old 04-30-2012, 05:01 PM
Bill Stanley

Default Serious upgrade problem! My computer previously was 64 bit and now is 32 bit.

Last week, I finally upgraded through two upgrades to the most recent
version on Ubuntu. I had some serious window manager problems (and
still do). But in my hunt for the cause of my window problem I
discovered something far more serious.

The "System Info" (in the "system settings" menu) application reports
that the operating system is the 32 bit version. Either the system info
is wrong or the upgrade program was wrong. It is probable that the
upgrade program was wrong because other utilities also report that the
OS is 32 bit. Now probably most 64 bit upgrades were right (I don't
know) but for my computer, the upgrade replaced a 64 bit OS with a 32
bit OS. (I am certain that the original OS was the 64 bit version.)

I also notice that the boot time is significantly longer. The boot time
for the original installation, 10.10, (turning on,logging in and finally
being able to run applications) was less than 30 seconds. For this
version upgrade (version 11.10) the boot time can be as much as 3 to 4
minutes. This might be due to the wrong OS being used.

Having established that the OS upgrade is in error, I now have to
manually change from the 32 bit version to the 64 bit version without
losing my data. Not having to completely replace the OS before, I would
like instructions on how best to proceed.

Bill Stanley

Old 04-30-2012, 06:22 PM
William Scott Lockwood III

On Apr 30, 2012 2:19 PM, "Bill Stanley" <bstanle@wowway.com> wrote:

> My computer has 8 GB of memory (thus needing a 64 bit OS)

This is not true. A 32 bit os using PAE will handle 8 gigs just fine.