-   -   installed U12.04 on an old partition, my /home partition got wiped (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/661460-installed-u12-04-old-partition-my-home-partition-got-wiped.html)

Peter Teuben 04-30-2012 05:00 PM

installed U12.04 on an old partition, my /home partition got wiped

Installing U12.04 on an old partition...

so, i've done this kind of thing numerous times. I keep a triple boot
laptop,

and share /boot between different distros. Also keep /home on a big
partition. So obviously I know very well to only let the new system to be
the one that is reformatted and leave /boot and /home alone. Did that
again this time. But.... found /home nicely empty.

The only thing I can imagine is that I was asked what partition type /home
was, and maybe I told it ext4, where it was still ext3...... but the end
result

was that i lost it all, very sad.

Found an interesting file in /var/log/installer/partman, that may be useful
to decipher. Hope to report here later, but maybe somebody else has run
into this corner case as well. I've convinced myself it reformatted my /home
without me asking for it!

peter

"Pongo A. Pan" 04-30-2012 05:56 PM

On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 13:00 -0400, Peter Teuben wrote:
> Installing U12.04 on an old partition...
>
> so, i've done this kind of thing numerous times. I keep a triple boot
> laptop,
> and share /boot between different distros. Also keep /home on a big
> partition. So obviously I know very well to only let the new system to be
> the one that is reformatted and leave /boot and /home alone. Did that
> again this time. But.... found /home nicely empty.
>
> The only thing I can imagine is that I was asked what partition type /home
> was, and maybe I told it ext4, where it was still ext3...... but the end
> result
> was that i lost it all, very sad.
>
> Found an interesting file in /var/log/installer/partman, that may be useful
> to decipher. Hope to report here later, but maybe somebody else has run
> into this corner case as well. I've convinced myself it reformatted my /home
> without me asking for it!

If you change the filesystem type of a partition it *has* to be
formatted! This bit me once a while ago --ubiquity should really warn
about formatting anything with data on it as it does now if you *don't*
format system partitions.

'Vantage number three!' said the Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake about my
scheme of having a large common data area and very small home partitions
in multi-boot situations. It's trivial to symlink to stuff that should
be in /home/~ and you don't confuse things by having multiple and often
conflicting .conf files in a common home directory.

--
pongo pan
Mon, 30 Apr 2012 10:56:40 -0700

Peter Teuben 04-30-2012 08:24 PM

[...]

darn, that's worth a bug report, or re-bug it again. I'll check out
launchpad. I did see lots of other comments in regards to ubiquity
being rather careless when to reformat partitions. Scary.

'Vantage number three!' said the Bi-Coloured-Python-Rock-Snake about my
scheme of having a large common data area and very small home partitions
in multi-boot situations. It's trivial to symlink to stuff that should
be in /home/~ and you don't confuse things by having multiple and often
conflicting .conf files in a common home directory.

you sure have a point there, keeping a common $HOME can cause
major issues if you switch distro's or even upgrade, OTOH, keeping
them in sync if you switch back is also a pain.

thanks for the feedback!

peter