Old 04-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Shereef Muhamed

Default Mount/unmount Problem

I can mount or unmount partitions only as root.How the user can mount or unmount volumes.I am using ubuntu12.04.Can you helo me?

Old 04-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Ric Moore

On 04/30/2012 11:26 AM, Shereef Muhamed wrote:

I can mount or unmount partitions only as root.How the user can mount or
unmount volumes.I am using ubuntu12.04.Can you helo me?

That is generally considered a root-user-only privilege. A user can
eject a CD/DVD only because the user belongs to the group "cdrom".

So, that limits the use to only approved users and not the world.

You might consider a similar scheme to allow only certain users to
mount/umount partitions/disks. But you sure wouldn't want the "world" to
have such access. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Nils Kassube

Shereef Muhamed wrote:
> I can mount or unmount partitions only as root.How the user can mount
> or unmount volumes.I am using ubuntu12.04.Can you helo me?

If you want to make specific partitions mountable for users, you can
make an entry in /etc/fstab with the mount option "users". Such an entry
might look like this:

UUID=2d4c9fff-da1d-445f-b3d8-031d6b12a6d4 /data ext3 defaults,users 0 2

For more details try the command

man -a fstab mount

in a terminal and/or have a look at
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab>.

Nils

Old 04-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Colin Law

On 30 April 2012 16:26, Shereef Muhamed <srfmlp@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can mount or unmount partitions only as root.How the user can mount or
> unmount volumes.I am using ubuntu12.04.Can you helo me?

A user with appropriate privileges can mount provided he uses sudo.
Ubuntu systems do not generally have the root user enabled.

Colin