Old 04-30-2012, 07:39 AM
Richard Liu

Default cannot create configuration of noip2

Hi All,
I just installed the Ubuntu 12.04 server, and when I try to install
the noip2, I found the apt-get cannot find it. So I download the noip2
source from no-ip.com to install it manually. During the installing,
the "make" is successful, but the "make install" is failed. it always
notice me that the user name and password is failed, but I am sure the
user name and password is correct. Any one met the same issue? Is
there anybody can help me for this problem? Thanks

the error information is as follow:

root@rllab:/opt/download/noip-2.1.9-1# make install
if [ ! -d /usr/local/bin ]; then mkdir -p /usr/local/bin;fi
if [ ! -d /usr/local/etc ]; then mkdir -p /usr/local/etc;fi
cp noip2 /usr/local/bin/noip2
/usr/local/bin/noip2 -C -c /tmp/no-ip2.conf

Auto configuration for Linux client of no-ip.com.

Please enter the login/email string for no-ip.com liuranball@gmail.com

Please enter the password for user ' *******************

You have entered an incorrect username
-or-
an incorrect password for this username.
mv /tmp/no-ip2.conf /usr/local/etc/no-ip2.conf
mv: cannot stat `/tmp/no-ip2.conf': No such file or directory
make: *** [install] Error 1

--
B.RGDS
Richard

Old 04-30-2012, 01:36 PM
James Plate

On 04/30/2012 03:39 AM, Richard Liu wrote:
> Hi All,
> I just installed the Ubuntu 12.04 server, and when I try to install
> the noip2, I found the apt-get cannot find it. So I download the noip2
> source from no-ip.com to install it manually. During the installing,
> the "make" is successful, but the "make install" is failed. it always
> notice me that the user name and password is failed, but I am sure the
> user name and password is correct. Any one met the same issue? Is
> there anybody can help me for this problem? Thanks
>

> the error information is as follow:
>
> root@rllab:/opt/download/noip-2.1.9-1# make install
> if [ ! -d /usr/local/bin ]; then mkdir -p /usr/local/bin;fi
> if [ ! -d /usr/local/etc ]; then mkdir -p /usr/local/etc;fi
> cp noip2 /usr/local/bin/noip2
> /usr/local/bin/noip2 -C -c /tmp/no-ip2.conf
>
> Auto configuration for Linux client of no-ip.com.
>
> Please enter the login/email string for no-ip.com liuranball@gmail.com
>
> Please enter the password for user ' *******************
>
> You have entered an incorrect username
> -or-
> an incorrect password for this username.
> mv /tmp/no-ip2.conf /usr/local/etc/no-ip2.conf
> mv: cannot stat `/tmp/no-ip2.conf': No such file or directory
> make: *** [install] Error 1

Hi Richard, typically you need to run 'sudo make install' as it will
need write permissions to system directories. Hope this helps.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Richard Liu

Hi James,
Thanks for your kindly help, but I run the noip2 in root bash, which I
write in the previous mail, ">> root@rllab:/opt/download/noip-2.1.9-1#
make instal"
And I tried the "sudo make install " again, but it is the same issue.
I think it is a compatibility issue between Ubuntu 12.04 and noip2
latest version.
Do you have any other suggestion? Thanks

Old 05-01-2012, 03:11 PM
James Plate

On 05/01/2012 10:44 AM, Richard Liu wrote:
> Hi James,
> Thanks for your kindly help, but I run the noip2 in root bash, which I
> write in the previous mail, ">> root@rllab:/opt/download/noip-2.1.9-1#
> make instal"
> And I tried the "sudo make install " again, but it is the same issue.
> I think it is a compatibility issue between Ubuntu 12.04 and noip2
> latest version.
> Do you have any other suggestion? Thanks
>
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM, James Plate <james.plate@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 04/30/2012 03:39 AM, Richard Liu wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> I just installed the Ubuntu 12.04 server, and when I try to install
>>> the noip2, I found the apt-get cannot find it. So I download the noip2
>>> source from no-ip.com to install it manually. During the installing,
>>> the "make" is successful, but the "make install" is failed. it always
>>> notice me that the user name and password is failed, but I am sure the
>>> user name and password is correct. Any one met the same issue? Is
>>> there anybody can help me for this problem? Thanks
>>>

>>> the error information is as follow:
>>>
>>> root@rllab:/opt/download/noip-2.1.9-1# make install
>>> if [ ! -d /usr/local/bin ]; then mkdir -p /usr/local/bin;fi
>>> if [ ! -d /usr/local/etc ]; then mkdir -p /usr/local/etc;fi
>>> cp noip2 /usr/local/bin/noip2
>>> /usr/local/bin/noip2 -C -c /tmp/no-ip2.conf
>>>
>>> Auto configuration for Linux client of no-ip.com.
>>>
>>> Please enter the login/email string for no-ip.com liuranball@gmail.com
>>>
>>> Please enter the password for user ' *******************
>>>
>>> You have entered an incorrect username
>>> -or-
>>> an incorrect password for this username.
>>> mv /tmp/no-ip2.conf /usr/local/etc/no-ip2.conf
>>> mv: cannot stat `/tmp/no-ip2.conf': No such file or directory
>>> make: *** [install] Error 1
>>>
>> Hi Richard, typically you need to run 'sudo make install' as it will
>> need write permissions to system directories. Hope this helps.
>>
>> --

Actually, I just upgraded my 10.04 server to 12.04 and need to do the
same if I manage to build it successfuly I'll let you know what steps I
took. I wonder why it was removed from repos. I believe that's how I
installed in on 10.04. Hmmm.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:41 PM
James Plate

On 05/01/2012 10:44 AM, Richard Liu wrote:
> Hi James,
> Thanks for your kindly help, but I run the noip2 in root bash, which I
> write in the previous mail, ">> root@rllab:/opt/download/noip-2.1.9-1#
> make instal"
> And I tried the "sudo make install " again, but it is the same issue.
> I think it is a compatibility issue between Ubuntu 12.04 and noip2
> latest version.
> Do you have any other suggestion? Thanks
>
> On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 9:36 PM, James Plate <james.plate@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 04/30/2012 03:39 AM, Richard Liu wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>> I just installed the Ubuntu 12.04 server, and when I try to install
>>> the noip2, I found the apt-get cannot find it. So I download the noip2
>>> source from no-ip.com to install it manually. During the installing,
>>> the "make" is successful, but the "make install" is failed. it always
>>> notice me that the user name and password is failed, but I am sure the
>>> user name and password is correct. Any one met the same issue? Is
>>> there anybody can help me for this problem? Thanks
>>>

>>> the error information is as follow:
>>>
>>> root@rllab:/opt/download/noip-2.1.9-1# make install
>>> if [ ! -d /usr/local/bin ]; then mkdir -p /usr/local/bin;fi
>>> if [ ! -d /usr/local/etc ]; then mkdir -p /usr/local/etc;fi
>>> cp noip2 /usr/local/bin/noip2
>>> /usr/local/bin/noip2 -C -c /tmp/no-ip2.conf
>>>
>>> Auto configuration for Linux client of no-ip.com.
>>>
>>> Please enter the login/email string for no-ip.com liuranball@gmail.com
>>>
>>> Please enter the password for user ' *******************
>>>
>>> You have entered an incorrect username
>>> -or-
>>> an incorrect password for this username.
>>> mv /tmp/no-ip2.conf /usr/local/etc/no-ip2.conf
>>> mv: cannot stat `/tmp/no-ip2.conf': No such file or directory
>>> make: *** [install] Error 1
>>>
>> Hi Richard, typically you need to run 'sudo make install' as it will
>> need write permissions to system directories. Hope this helps.
>>
>> --

Hello Richard,

This is result of my successful installation and thoughts on the problem
you're describing.

I downloaded the current source tarball from no-ip, and extracted in a
non-root users /home/$USER/sources directory (/sources just to keep the
homedir tidy).

The only extra step I took, and did this before I ran make was:
chmod +x debian.noip2.sh

Then I carried on as usual.

make <--- As non-root user. Which complained with a few warnings but
built anyway.

sudo make install <-- Which took me through the setup process as
expected. The only exception was I had to manually start noip2 after I
completed the installation and configuration.

Actually looking at your error now, it seems to make a little more
sense. Double and triple check your email/password combo (capslock, not
sure but maybe no-ip password is case sensitive?). I believe that if the
script decides these are invalid it will not create the configuration
file which causes the "mv: cannot stat `/tmp/no-ip2.conf': No such file
or directory" error.

Hope something here helps.

James

Old 05-01-2012, 06:10 PM
Ric Moore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FiIf you want respect, you have to give respect. lm_noir
[...]

Richard, I can hardly make sense of this exchange, with everyone bottom
posting nicely and respectfully until you come along and top post. What
gives with that?? Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 05-04-2012, 12:16 AM
Richard Liu

Hi Ric,
I am sorry for this, and this is my first time use this mail list. I
just reply in gmail, and did not notice that. I will follow your
suggestion in future.
Thanks for your kindly notice.
--
B.RGDS
Richard

Old 05-04-2012, 06:59 PM
NoOp

On 05/01/2012 08:11 AM, James Plate wrote:
> On 05/01/2012 10:44 AM, Richard Liu wrote:
>> Hi James,
>> Thanks for your kindly help, but I run the noip2 in root bash, which I
>> write in the previous mail, ">> root@rllab:/opt/download/noip-2.1.9-1#
>> make instal"
>> And I tried the "sudo make install " again, but it is the same issue.
>> I think it is a compatibility issue between Ubuntu 12.04 and noip2
>> latest version.
>> Do you have any other suggestion? Thanks
>>
> Actually, I just upgraded my 10.04 server to 12.04 and need to do the
> same if I manage to build it successfuly I'll let you know what steps I
> took. I wonder why it was removed from repos. I believe that's how I
> installed in on 10.04. Hmmm.

<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/no-ip/+bug/939954>
[noip2 for precise]

You can download and install the Oneiric .deb from here:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/noip2
(click on amd64 or i386 in the 'Download noip2')