Old 04-29-2012, 07:19 PM
Colin Law

Default How to install separate home partition

On 29 April 2012 19:07, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 04/29/2012 10:53 AM, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On 29 April 2012 16:37, Jim Byrnes<jf_byrnes@comcast.net> *wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been reading here about the benefits of a separate home partition.
>>> Since I wanted to put both Ubuntu 12.04 and Xunbutu 12.04 on my laptop I
>>> decided to try a separate home partition. I booted from the Ubuntu
>>> install
>>> CD and choose the Other choice from the installation options.
>>>
>>> I googled and found a how to to follow.
>>>
>>> I partitioned as follows:
>>>
>>> Primary - sda1 77GB ext4 mount point / for Ubuntu
>>>
>>> Extended:
>>> sda6 77GB ext4 mount point /home *for home
>>> sda7 77GB ext4 * * * * * * * * * *for Xubuntu
>>> sda *86GB free space
>>> sda5 4GB swap
>>>
>>> I installed Ubuntu on sda1 and when it was done it did not recognize
>>> /home
>>> as my home partition. *I did some more googling and fixed that. Then I
>>> installed Xubuntu on sda7 and when I was done it did not recognize /home
>>> as
>>> the home partition.
>>>
>>> Booted from Ubuntu and using the disk utility on sda6 I see /home
>>> mounted.
>>> Booting from Xubuntu sda6 is not mounted. If I mount it it mounts at
>>> /media/(what looks like a UUID).
>>>
>>> The how to I followed only put Ubuntu, home and swap on the disk. Is
>>> there
>>> something else that needs to be done to add a second OS and share the
>>> home
>>> partition? I want to start all over so could someone tell me what I did
>>> wrong or point me to a reliable how to that covers my situation.
>>

>> When you were installing you should have told the first one to use
>> sda6 with a mount point of /home and to format it. *When installing
>> the second you should again have said to use sda6 as /home but /not/
>> to format it. *Then it would have left it as it is.
>>
>> Colin
>>

> Thanks Colin, I'm starting to reinstall now. *One more question. *After
> installing Unbuntu and it comes time to pick a computer name and user name
> while installing Xumbuntu do I use the same names used on the Ubuntu install
> or does it even make a difference? The first time I used different ones.

I am not sure that it will ask on second one. If it does then if you
want to use the same user on both (which should be safe I think) then
use the same one.

Did you realise that you can have both on the same install and choose
at logon time which to use? Install ubuntu then
suso apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
to install the extra stuff for the xubuntu window manager. At least I
think it is xubuntu-desktop. Google should confirm that. Then on the
logon screen click the ubuntu icon by the user name and Lubuntu should
be there aswell as ubuntu.

Colin

Old 04-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Jim Byrnes

[...]

Yes I realize that. I've tried it in the past in a VM and the results
were less than satisfying. I have the space so I decided to do a full
install of both.

Things went better this time following your advice but it seems like
Xubuntu still created it's own home. After first installing Ubuntu and
before installing Xunbutu I put a txt file in both Home and Documents on
the Ubuntu side. After installing Xubuntu and rebooting I can see that
/home is mounted but I cannot see either one of the txt files I created
in Unbutu. Am I misunderstanding the concept of the shared /home? I
should be able to see the txt files from either OS, shouldn't I?

Thanks, Jim

Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Colin Law

On 29 April 2012 21:13, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 04/29/2012 02:19 PM, Colin Law wrote:

>>> Thanks Colin, I'm starting to reinstall now. *One more question. *After
>>> installing Unbuntu and it comes time to pick a computer name and user
>>> name
>>> while installing Xumbuntu do I use the same names used on the Ubuntu
>>> install
>>> or does it even make a difference? The first time I used different ones.
>>

>> I am not sure that it will ask on second one. *If it does then if you
>> want to use the same user on both (which should be safe I think) then
>> use the same one.
>>
>> Did you realise that you can have both on the same install and choose
>> at logon time which to use? *Install ubuntu then
>> suso apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
>> to install the extra stuff for the xubuntu window manager. *At least I
>> think it is xubuntu-desktop. *Google should confirm that. *Then on the
>> logon screen click the ubuntu icon by the user name and Lubuntu should
>> be there aswell as ubuntu.
>>
>> Colin
>

> Yes I realize that. *I've tried it in the past in a VM and the results were
> less than satisfying. *I have the space so I decided to do a full install of
> both.
>
> Things went better this time following your advice but it seems like Xubuntu
> still created it's own home. *After first installing Ubuntu and before
> installing Xunbutu I put a txt file in both Home and Documents on the Ubuntu
> side. *After installing Xubuntu and rebooting I can see that /home is
> mounted but I cannot see either one of the txt files I created in Unbutu.
> *Am I misunderstanding the concept of the shared /home? I should be able to
> see the txt files from either OS, shouldn't I?

It may be you are missing the knowledge that each user has their own
'home' directory in /home. In nautilus (the file manager) click on
the little arrow to the left of where it says Home at the top. That
should then show an icon for the complete file system and another
'home' which should be your home partition. Click on that home and
you should see a folder for each user's 'home' folder with the name of
the user. Strictly whenever we talk about a users home folder what we
really mean is that users folder within the /home directory (which is
a separate partition in your case).

If you want to check that you are in fact using your partition for
/home then open a terminal and type
df
and then you should see /home in the right hand column against
/dev/sda6 in the left.

Colin

Old 04-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Jim Byrnes

[...]

Yes I was not understanding that correctly. Now that you have explained
it, I see how it works.

If you want to check that you are in fact using your partition for
/home then open a terminal and type
df
and then you should see /home in the right hand column against
/dev/sda6 in the left.

Both point to /dev/sda6 so I was successful, I just didn't know it.

Colin

Thanks for your help, Jim