Old 04-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Charlie Zender

Default Help with "partition not found" after 12.04 upgrade

Am having the worst upgrade experience of the entire Ubuntu series.
Just tried oneiric->precise kubuntu, i.e., 11.10->12.04:
Things seemed to be going smoothly until the reboot at the end.
Now system stops at the grub bootloader stage: every kernel I
choose to boot (regular, safe-boot, my windows partition, or
older Ubuntu kernels) responds with multiple copies of the same
error message: "partition not found". Nothing boots.

Since I can't boot anything, how can I "fix" the system (grub's
menu.lst? /etc/fstab?) without having to do a fresh install?

Thanks!
Charlie
--
Charlie Zender, Department of Earth System Science
University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 )'(

Old 04-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Jared Norris

On 30 April 2012 02:53, Charlie Zender <zender@uci.edu> wrote:
> Am having the worst upgrade experience of the entire Ubuntu series.
> Just tried oneiric->precise kubuntu, i.e., 11.10->12.04:
> Things seemed to be going smoothly until the reboot at the end.
> Now system stops at the grub bootloader stage: every kernel I
> choose to boot (regular, safe-boot, my windows partition, or
> older Ubuntu kernels) responds with multiple copies of the same
> error message: "partition not found". Nothing boots.
>
> Since I can't boot anything, how can I "fix" the system (grub's
> menu.lst? /etc/fstab?) without having to do a fresh install?
>
> Thanks!
> Charlie
> --
> Charlie Zender, Department of Earth System Science
> University of California, Irvine 949-891-2429 *)'(

If you're installing on a computer with multiple drives just double
check it's installing Grub to the correct hard drive. I had an issue
where it defaults to installing it to sdb despite me telling it to
partition sda as the drive to use.

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris