-   -   How to install separate home partition (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/660961-how-install-separate-home-partition.html)

Jim Byrnes 04-29-2012 03:37 PM

How to install separate home partition

I've been reading here about the benefits of a separate home partition.
Since I wanted to put both Ubuntu 12.04 and Xunbutu 12.04 on my laptop I
decided to try a separate home partition. I booted from the Ubuntu
install CD and choose the Other choice from the installation options.

I googled and found a how to to follow.

I partitioned as follows:

Primary - sda1 77GB ext4 mount point / for Ubuntu

Extended:
sda6 77GB ext4 mount point /home for home
sda7 77GB ext4 for Xubuntu
sda 86GB free space
sda5 4GB swap

I installed Ubuntu on sda1 and when it was done it did not recognize
/home as my home partition. I did some more googling and fixed that.
Then I installed Xubuntu on sda7 and when I was done it did not
recognize /home as the home partition.

Booted from Ubuntu and using the disk utility on sda6 I see /home
mounted. Booting from Xubuntu sda6 is not mounted. If I mount it it
mounts at /media/(what looks like a UUID).

The how to I followed only put Ubuntu, home and swap on the disk. Is
there something else that needs to be done to add a second OS and share
the home partition? I want to start all over so could someone tell me
what I did wrong or point me to a reliable how to that covers my situation.

Thanks, Jim

Colin Law 04-29-2012 03:53 PM

On 29 April 2012 16:37, Jim Byrnes <jf_byrnes@comcast.net> wrote:
> I've been reading here about the benefits of a separate home partition.
> Since I wanted to put both Ubuntu 12.04 and Xunbutu 12.04 on my laptop I
> decided to try a separate home partition. I booted from the Ubuntu install
> CD and choose the Other choice from the installation options.
>
> I googled and found a how to to follow.
>
> I partitioned as follows:
>
> Primary - sda1 77GB ext4 mount point / for Ubuntu
>
> Extended:
> sda6 77GB ext4 mount point /home *for home
> sda7 77GB ext4 * * * * * * * * * *for Xubuntu
> sda *86GB free space
> sda5 4GB swap
>
> I installed Ubuntu on sda1 and when it was done it did not recognize /home
> as my home partition. *I did some more googling and fixed that. Then I
> installed Xubuntu on sda7 and when I was done it did not recognize /home as
> the home partition.
>
> Booted from Ubuntu and using the disk utility on sda6 I see /home mounted.
> Booting from Xubuntu sda6 is not mounted. If I mount it it mounts at
> /media/(what looks like a UUID).
>
> The how to I followed only put Ubuntu, home and swap on the disk. Is there
> something else that needs to be done to add a second OS and share the home
> partition? I want to start all over so could someone tell me what I did
> wrong or point me to a reliable how to that covers my situation.

When you were installing you should have told the first one to use
sda6 with a mount point of /home and to format it. When installing
the second you should again have said to use sda6 as /home but /not/
to format it. Then it would have left it as it is.

Colin

Jim Byrnes 04-29-2012 06:07 PM

[...]

Thanks Colin, I'm starting to reinstall now. One more question. After
installing Unbuntu and it comes time to pick a computer name and user
name while installing Xumbuntu do I use the same names used on the
Ubuntu install or does it even make a difference? The first time I used
different ones.

Thanks, Jim