Old 04-29-2012, 03:30 PM
user1

Default How to get a system monitor up on panel in unity in ubuntu 12.04 to see cpu usage

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:23:51 +1000, Jared Norris wrote:

> On 29 April 2012 21:18, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
>> How to get a system monitor up running in 'panel' of unity in ubuntu
>> 12.04 so I constant can watch my cpu usage

> There is a program in the software centre called "System Load Indicator"
> that will do what you've described and more. It's as simple as
> installing that and then right clicking on the new indicator in the
> panel and configuring it how you like.

I have already installed Gnome System Monitor, but how do I get it up on
Unity 'panel' as a small ikon so I always can see system loads?

Old 04-29-2012, 03:35 PM
Colin Law

On 29 April 2012 16:30, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:23:51 +1000, Jared Norris wrote:
>
>> On 29 April 2012 21:18, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
>>> How to get a system monitor up running in 'panel' of unity in ubuntu
>>> 12.04 so I constant can watch my cpu usage
>

>> There is a program in the software centre called "System Load Indicator"
>> that will do what you've described and more. It's as simple as
>> installing that and then right clicking on the new indicator in the
>> panel and configuring it how you like.
>
> I have already installed Gnome System Monitor, but how do I get it up on
> Unity 'panel' as a small ikon so I always can see system loads?

You can't as far as I know. That is why Jared suggested an alternative.

Colin

Old 04-29-2012, 03:50 PM
Colin Law

On 29 April 2012 16:35, compdoc <compdoc@hotrodpc.com> wrote:
>> I have already installed Gnome System Monitor, but how do I get it up on
> Unity 'panel' as a small ikon so I always can see system loads?
>
> Click the Dash Home icon and the top so that Search comes up. Type in
> 'system' so that the System Monitor app appears. Drag the icon to the Panel.
>
> However, the icon does not display the system use while it sits on the panel
> - you have to open the program.

I think there is a confusion of terms here. The panel is the bit
along the top, the thing you launch apps from is the launcher. You
can drag an app to the launcher but not the panel.
I think (though I may be wrong) that the OP wants it in the panel at the top.

Colin

Old 04-29-2012, 08:46 PM
Jared Norris

On 30 April 2012 01:30, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:23:51 +1000, Jared Norris wrote:
>
>> On 29 April 2012 21:18, user1 <bqz69@telia.com> wrote:
>>> How to get a system monitor up running in 'panel' of unity in ubuntu
>>> 12.04 so I constant can watch my cpu usage
>

>> There is a program in the software centre called "System Load Indicator"
>> that will do what you've described and more. It's as simple as
>> installing that and then right clicking on the new indicator in the
>> panel and configuring it how you like.
>
> I have already installed Gnome System Monitor, but how do I get it up on
> Unity 'panel' as a small ikon so I always can see system loads?

As mentioned by Colin, the Gnome System Monitor is different to the
System Load Indicator. The System Load Indicator is an add on that
uses the Gnome System Monitor to display what you want in the panel at
the top of the screen.

Jared Norris JP(Qual) BBehSc(Psych)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JaredNorris

Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 AM
Thufir

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 21:23:51 +1000, Jared Norris wrote:

> There is a program in the software centre called "System Load Indicator"
> that will do what you've described and more. It's as simple as
> installing that and then right clicking on the new indicator in the
> panel and configuring it how you like.
>
> I stumbled across
> http://askubuntu.com/questions/30334/what-application-indicators-are-
available
> a while ago myself and have been grateful to everyone showing what is
> available.

Ok, I'm not sure how to actually get it to show up, though, after
installing?

aptitude install indicator-multiload

and then what?

thanks,