Old 04-29-2012, 04:38 AM
Larry

Default Re: what does this file mean? C: ppdf32Logdebuglog.txt

On 04/28/2012 11:20 PM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> What does this file mean? I don't understand how I got it in my home directory

And we are supposed to know how it got there ?

--

Larry Brower, CCNA

Fedora Ambassador - North America
Fedora Quality Assurance
lbrower@fedoraproject.org
http://www.fedoraproject.org/

Old 04-29-2012, 04:48 AM
Michael Hennebry

On Sat, 28 Apr 2012, Larry wrote:

On 04/28/2012 11:20 PM, Darlene Wallach wrote:

What does this file mean? I don't understand how I got it in my home directory

And we are supposed to know how it got there ?

Rather obviously, he has been attacked by Windoze.

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
whom I teach not to run with scissors,

Old 04-29-2012, 04:48 AM
Ed Greshko

On 04/29/2012 12:20 PM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
> What does this file mean? I don't understand how I got it in my home directory
>
> Thank you
>
> Darlene Wallach
>
> $ cat C:
ppdf32Logdebuglog.txt
> NPP_GetValue is called
> NPP_GetValue is called
> NPP_GetValue is called
> NPP_GetValue is called
> NPP_Initialize : called
> NPP_Shutdown : called

A quick google search suggests it may be related to a firefox plugin/addon.

of the century. -- Dame Edna Everage

Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 AM
Darlene Wallach

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 9:38 PM, Larry <larry-lists@maxqe.com> wrote:
> On 04/28/2012 11:20 PM, Darlene Wallach wrote:
>> What does this file mean? I don't understand how I got it in my home directory
>
> And we are supposed to know how it got there ?
>
> --
>

> Larry Brower, CCNA

I'm assuming I've been hacked - but I don't know how

Darlene Wallach

Old 04-29-2012, 05:40 AM
Darlene Wallach

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 10:08 PM, Javier Adrián Ortiz de la Tabla
<adriandelatabla@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/4/29 Darlene Wallach <freepalestin@dslextreme.com>:
>>>
>>> And we are supposed to know how it got there ?
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>>> Larry Brower, CCNA
>>>

>> I'm assuming I've been hacked - but I don't know how
>
> Are you using Acrobat Reader plugin for Firefox?
>
> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2459255

I just disabled it in Firefox and Seamonkey - thank you

Darlene Wallach
--
equal justice under law

Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Piscium

On 29 April 2012 05:20, Darlene Wallach <freepalestin@dslextreme.com> wrote:
> What does this file mean? I don't understand how I got it in my home directory
>
> Thank you
>
> Darlene Wallach
>
> $ cat C:
ppdf32Logdebuglog.txt

It was only last week that I realised I had that file in my home
directory. I do have Acrobat Reader installed, but I have had it for
ages, so why is it that only recently the file
"C:
ppdf32Logdebuglog.txt" appeared on my home directory?
Something changed, most likely in Acrobat Reader, though it could also
be in Firefox or Seamonkey.

Last week when I found the file I deleted it, and today it was there
again. I deleted it again, googled for a PDF within FF, opened it
within FF, and presto, "C:
ppdf32Logdebuglog.txt" reappeared. I
am using Acrobat Reader v. 9.5.1 03/07/2012 and the most recent
versions of FF (12) and Seamonkey (2.9) (all upstream Linux builds).
Anyway it is good to know this is not malware, so I am not
particularly bothered.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:20 AM
Christopher Svanefalk

Is there a particular reason you need to use Adobe Reader? I personally abandoned it years ago in favour of Evince, and I haven't looked back. I can only remember one instance I had problems opening a PDF, and that was in regard to security settings being interpreted wrongly. That was over a year ago though, and it might no longer be an issue.

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Piscium <groknok@gmail.com> wrote:

On 29 April 2012 05:20, Darlene Wallach <freepalestin@dslextreme.com> wrote:

> What does this file mean? I don't understand how I got it in my home directory

> Thank you

> Darlene Wallach

> $ cat C:
ppdf32Logdebuglog.txt

It was only last week that I realised I had that file in my home

directory. I do have Acrobat Reader installed, but I have had it for

ages, so why is it that only recently the file

"C:
ppdf32Logdebuglog.txt" appeared on my home directory?

Something changed, most likely in Acrobat Reader, though it could also

be in Firefox or Seamonkey.

Last week when I found the file I deleted it, and today it was there

again. I deleted it again, googled for a PDF within FF, opened it

within FF, and presto, "C:
ppdf32Logdebuglog.txt" reappeared. I

am using Acrobat Reader *v. 9.5.1 03/07/2012 and the most recent

versions of FF (12) and Seamonkey (2.9) (all upstream Linux builds).

Anyway it is good to know this is not malware, so I am not

particularly bothered.

Best,
Christopher Svanefalk

Old 04-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Piscium

On 29 April 2012 12:20, Christopher Svanefalk
<christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a particular reason you need to use Adobe Reader? I personally
> abandoned it years ago in favour of Evince, and I haven't looked back. I can
> only remember one instance I had problems opening a PDF, and that was in
> regard to security settings being interpreted wrongly. That was over a year
> ago though, and it might no longer be an issue.

I use PDFs a lot, it is not uncommon to have 10 PDF files
simultaneously open, and Acrobat reader is just far more convenient. I
configure its toolbar with lots of buttons for different sorts of
display and navigation, no open source alternative gives me that
flexibility. Moreover open source readers sometimes cannot display
files that Acrobat displays well (I don't have an example now to give
to you, but I found that to be true in the past.)

So yes, if there was an open-source reader as good as Acrobat I would
use it, but it is still not the case (at least for the my use case).

Old 04-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Darlene Wallach

Christopher,

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 4:20 AM, Christopher Svanefalk
<christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a particular reason you need to use Adobe Reader? I personally
> abandoned it years ago in favour of Evince, and I haven't looked back. I can
> only remember one instance I had problems opening a PDF, and that was in
> regard to security settings being interpreted wrongly. That was over a year
> ago though, and it might no longer be an issue.

For my consulting job I had to install Adobe Reader for an interactive
PDF. I personally use Evince. I just removed AdobeReader_enu and
adobe-release-i386 - yay!

Darlene Wallach

> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Piscium <groknok@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 29 April 2012 05:20, Darlene Wallach <freepalestin@dslextreme.com>
>> wrote:
>> > What does this file mean? I don't understand how I got it in my home
>> > directory
>> >
>> > Thank you
>> >
>> > Darlene Wallach
>> >
>> > $ cat C:
ppdf32Logdebuglog.txt

>> It was only last week that I realised I had that file in my home
>> directory. I do have Acrobat Reader installed, but I have had it for
>> ages, so why is it that only recently the file
>> "C:
ppdf32Logdebuglog.txt" appeared on my home directory?
>> Something changed, most likely in Acrobat Reader, though it could also
>> be in Firefox or Seamonkey.
>>
>> Last week when I found the file I deleted it, and today it was there
>> again. I deleted it again, googled for a PDF within FF, opened it
>> within FF, and presto, "C:
ppdf32Logdebuglog.txt" reappeared. I
>> am using Acrobat Reader *v. 9.5.1 03/07/2012 and the most recent
>> versions of FF (12) and Seamonkey (2.9) (all upstream Linux builds).
>> Anyway it is good to know this is not malware, so I am not
>> particularly bothered.
>> --

> Best,
>
> Christopher Svanefalk

equal justice under law

Old 04-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Christopher Svanefalk

Sweet

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 4:20 AM, Christopher Svanefalk

<christopher.svanefalk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there a particular reason you need to use Adobe Reader? I personally

> abandoned it years ago in favour of Evince, and I haven't looked back. I can

> only remember one instance I had problems opening a PDF, and that was in

> regard to security settings being interpreted wrongly. That was over a year

> ago though, and it might no longer be an issue.

For my consulting job I had to install Adobe Reader for an interactive

PDF. I personally use Evince. I just removed AdobeReader_enu and

adobe-release-i386 - yay!

Darlene Wallach

> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 12:56 PM, Piscium <groknok@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On 29 April 2012 05:20, Darlene Wallach <freepalestin@dslextreme.com>

>> wrote:

>> > What does this file mean? I don't understand how I got it in my home

>> > directory

>> > Thank you

>> > Darlene Wallach

>> > $ cat C:
ppdf32Logdebuglog.txt

>> It was only last week that I realised I had that file in my home

>> directory. I do have Acrobat Reader installed, but I have had it for

>> ages, so why is it that only recently the file

>> "C:
ppdf32Logdebuglog.txt" appeared on my home directory?

>> Something changed, most likely in Acrobat Reader, though it could also

>> be in Firefox or Seamonkey.

>> Last week when I found the file I deleted it, and today it was there

>> again. I deleted it again, googled for a PDF within FF, opened it

>> within FF, and presto, "C:
ppdf32Logdebuglog.txt" reappeared. I

>> am using Acrobat Reader *v. 9.5.1 03/07/2012 and the most recent

>> versions of FF (12) and Seamonkey (2.9) (all upstream Linux builds).

>> Anyway it is good to know this is not malware, so I am not

>> particularly bothered.

>> --

>> Have a question? Ask away: http://ask.fedoraproject.org

> --