-   -   Touchpad non-functional after first login on Toshiba NB505 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/660821-touchpad-non-functional-after-first-login-toshiba-nb505.html)

Matthew Brace 04-29-2012 01:57 AM

Touchpad non-functional after first login on Toshiba NB505

Hey folks,
I have a Toshiba NB505 netbook and previously had Maverick
installed.* I did a fresh install (including completely clean /home
partition) of 12.04 and everything went well (including wifi working out
of the box now!).* After the install completed, got to login screen,
everything working fine.

Shortly after logging in (around when I hit alt-f2 to launch a terminal), the touchpad completely stopped responding.

Troubleshooting steps completed including testing as well as rebooting after each step and verifying the config change stayed:

# Had no effect
$ synclient TouchpadOff=0
# Had no effect
$ gconftool-2 --set --type boolean /desktop/gnome/peripherals/touchpad/touchpad_enabled true
# Had no effect
Under System Settings -> Mouse and Touchpad -> Touchpad tab -> uncheck Disable touchpad while typing

I've also verified the latest xserver-xorg-input-synaptics is installed.

In
a virtual terminal (alt-ctrl-f1) evtest /dev/input/eventN (the
appropriate number based on what was listed in dmesg for the Synaptics
touchpad) shows no events at all from the device.

Xorg.0.log shows no errors (just the initial Synaptics device discovered for eventN and then again for mouseN).

The
key combination to turn on/off the touchpad (Fn+F9) does not have any
effect when all the other Fn combinations seem to work (wifi, numpad,
brightness, mute/unmute).* The BIOS doesn't have an indicator for the
touchpad or an option to enable/disable it there.

One interesting point I've noticed is that on every boot, the eventN
corresponding to the touchpad increments by 1 (it's now up to event10).

For completeness:
$ synclient -l
Parameter settings:

*** LeftEdge*************** = 1761
*** RightEdge************** = 5323
*** TopEdge**************** = 1632
*** BottomEdge************* = 4394
*** FingerLow************** = 25
*** FingerHigh************* = 30

*** FingerPress************ = 256
*** MaxTapTime************* = 180
*** MaxTapMove************* = 230
*** MaxDoubleTapTime******* = 180
*** SingleTapTimeout******* = 180
*** ClickTime************** = 100

*** FastTaps*************** = 0
*** EmulateMidButtonTime*** = 75
*** EmulateTwoFingerMinZ*** = 282
*** EmulateTwoFingerMinW*** = 7
*** VertScrollDelta******** = 104
*** HorizScrollDelta******* = 104
*** VertEdgeScroll********* = 1

*** HorizEdgeScroll******** = 0
*** CornerCoasting********* = 0
*** VertTwoFingerScroll**** = 1
*** HorizTwoFingerScroll*** = 0
*** MinSpeed*************** = 1
*** MaxSpeed*************** = 1.75
*** AccelFactor************ = 0.0381825

*** TrackstickSpeed******** = 40
*** EdgeMotionMinZ********* = 30
*** EdgeMotionMaxZ********* = 160
*** EdgeMotionMinSpeed***** = 1
*** EdgeMotionMaxSpeed***** = 419
*** EdgeMotionUseAlways**** = 0
*** TouchpadOff************ = 0

*** LockedDrags************ = 0
*** LockedDragTimeout****** = 5000
*** RTCornerButton********* = 2
*** RBCornerButton********* = 3
*** LTCornerButton********* = 0
*** LBCornerButton********* = 0
*** TapButton1************* = 1

*** TapButton2************* = 3
*** TapButton3************* = 0
*** ClickFinger1*********** = 1
*** ClickFinger2*********** = 1
*** ClickFinger3*********** = 0
*** CircularScrolling****** = 0
*** CircScrollDelta******** = 0.1

*** CircScrollTrigger****** = 0
*** CircularPad************ = 0
*** PalmDetect************* = 0
*** PalmMinWidth*********** = 10
*** PalmMinZ*************** = 200
*** CoastingSpeed********** = 20
*** CoastingFriction******* = 50

*** PressureMotionMinZ***** = 30
*** PressureMotionMaxZ***** = 160
*** PressureMotionMinFactor = 1
*** PressureMotionMaxFactor = 1
*** ResolutionDetect******* = 1
*** GrabEventDevice******** = 1
*** TapAndDragGesture****** = 1

*** AreaLeftEdge*********** = 0
*** AreaRightEdge********** = 0
*** AreaTopEdge************ = 0
*** AreaBottomEdge********* = 0
*** HorizHysteresis******** = 26
*** VertHysteresis********* = 26
*** ClickPad*************** = 0

$ grep -A 9 -B 2 -i touch /proc/bus/input/devices

I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0007 Version=01b1
N: Name="SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/platform/i8042/serio1/input/input10

U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=mouse1 event10
B: PROP=9
B: EV=b
B: KEY=6420 0 30000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: ABS=2608000 11000003

I'm
really stuck as to where to look next, having gone through walls of bug
reports where the listed workarounds had no effect and/or the bug
listed as fixed.

I'm a developer and more than comfortable building any particular
components, applying patches and advanced troubleshooting if necessary.

Thanks,
Matt Brace

Colin Law 04-29-2012 08:21 AM

On 29 April 2012 02:57, Matthew Brace <ismarc31@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey folks,
> I have a Toshiba NB505 netbook and previously had Maverick installed.* I did
> a fresh install (including completely clean /home partition) of 12.04 and
> everything went well (including wifi working out of the box now!).* After
> the install completed, got to login screen, everything working fine.
>
> Shortly after logging in (around when I hit alt-f2 to launch a terminal),
> the touchpad completely stopped responding.

Do you remember whether it worked when booted off the live CD? If it
did then check whether that still works. If you don't remember then
try it anyway as it may useful to know.

Also try logging on as a different user and see whether it works.
That might tell you whether it is settings for the user or a system
wide problem.

Colin

Matthew Brace 04-29-2012 04:52 PM

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 3:21 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:

On 29 April 2012 02:57, Matthew Brace <ismarc31@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey folks,

> I have a Toshiba NB505 netbook and previously had Maverick installed.* I did

> a fresh install (including completely clean /home partition) of 12.04 and

> everything went well (including wifi working out of the box now!).* After

> the install completed, got to login screen, everything working fine.

> Shortly after logging in (around when I hit alt-f2 to launch a terminal),

> the touchpad completely stopped responding.

Do you remember whether it worked when booted off the live CD? *If it

did then check whether that still works. *If you don't remember then

try it anyway as it may useful to know.

Also try logging on as a different user and see whether it works.

That might tell you whether it is settings for the user or a system

wide problem.

Colin

It worked perfectly find on the installation screens when booted from the live CD. *It no longer works on the live CD. *It also doesn't work when logging in as a Guest user. *The overall behavior is as if the trackpad had been toggled off at the BIOS level (or via the Fn key combination) without a way to turn it back on.

Thanks,Matt Brace

Colin Law 04-29-2012 07:11 PM

On 29 April 2012 17:52, Matthew Brace <ismarc31@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 3:21 AM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 29 April 2012 02:57, Matthew Brace <ismarc31@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hey folks,
>> > I have a Toshiba NB505 netbook and previously had Maverick installed.* I
>> > did
>> > a fresh install (including completely clean /home partition) of 12.04
>> > and
>> > everything went well (including wifi working out of the box now!).
>> > After
>> > the install completed, got to login screen, everything working fine.
>> >
>> > Shortly after logging in (around when I hit alt-f2 to launch a
>> > terminal),
>> > the touchpad completely stopped responding.
>>
>> Do you remember whether it worked when booted off the live CD? *If it
>> did then check whether that still works. *If you don't remember then
>> try it anyway as it may useful to know.
>>
>> Also try logging on as a different user and see whether it works.
>> That might tell you whether it is settings for the user or a system
>> wide problem.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> --
>

> It worked perfectly find on the installation screens when booted from the
> live CD. *It no longer works on the live CD. *It also doesn't work when
> logging in as a Guest user. *The overall behavior is as if the trackpad had
> been toggled off at the BIOS level (or via the Fn key combination) without a
> way to turn it back on.

Or it is broken of course. At least you know it is nothing to do with
the ubuntu install.

Colin