Old 04-28-2012, 10:01 PM
David Fletcher

Default Formatting USB memory devices

OK now, I found it.

Dave

Old 04-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Patrick DeCampos

Could you post the solution to the list? I'm curious to know.

Thanks!

On Apr 28, 2012 6:03 PM, "David Fletcher" <dave@thefletchers.net> wrote:
OK now, I found it.

Dave

Old 04-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Sonny Golovine

Install Gparted and format the drive there.

Sonny Golovine
Writer at Tekkidd's Blog
--------------------------
sonny@tekkidd.com
http://tekkidd.com/
http://twitter.com/tekkidd
http://facebook.com/tekkiddblog
http://youtube.com/thetekkidd

On 4/28/12 5:25 PM, David Fletcher wrote:

This was easy enough to do with Maverick.

I've got a CF card plugged into a USB reader/writer that I want to
format. The only application I can find that's supposed to do this is
gnome-format but I can't get it to do anything, or even start up and
show itself.

How can I do this in 12.04 ?

Dave

Old 04-29-2012, 12:15 AM
David Fletcher

On Sat, 2012-04-28 at 18:38 -0400, Patrick DeCampos wrote:
> Could you post the solution to the list? I'm curious to know.
>
> Thanks!

Bottom posting,

I plugged in the Compact Flash card with a USB reader/writer, which
mounts the card and starts up Nautilus. I just shut down Nautilus, right
clicked on the CF card in the column on the left whatever it's called,
and selected format from there.

Old 04-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Sharl Jimh Tsin

Old 04-29-2012, 05:54 PM
Graham Watkins

This was easy enough to do with Maverick.

I've got a CF card plugged into a USB reader/writer that I want to
format. The only application I can find that's supposed to do this is
gnome-format but I can't get it to do anything, or even start up and
show itself.

How can I do this in 12.04 ?

Dave

The following is pasted from pendrivelinux.com. I've used this
method before. Assuming that fdisk -l shows your card to be sdx,*
there's no reason why it shouldn't work for you.

Restoring your USB key to it's original
state using Linux:

A. First we need to delete the old partitions that remain on the
USB key.

*** Open a terminal and type sudo su

*** Type fdisk -l and note your USB drive letter.

*** Type fdisk /dev/sdx (replacing x with your drive letter)

*** Type d to proceed to delete a partition

*** Type 1 to select the 1st partition and press enter

*** Type d to proceed to delete another partition (fdisk should
automatically select the second partition)

B. Next we need to create the new partition.

*** Type n to make a new partition

*** Type p to make this partition primary and press enter

*** Type 1 to make this the first partition and then press enter

*** Press enter to accept the default first cylinder

*** Press enter again to accept the default last cylinder

*** Type w to write the new partition information to the USB key

*** Type umount /dev/sdx1 (replacing x with your drive letter)

C. The last step is to create the fat filesystem.

*** Type mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sdx1 (replacing x with your USB
key drive letter)

That's it, you should now have a restored USB key with a single
fat 32 partition that can be read from any computer.

It's always worked for me,

Cheers,

Graham

Old 04-29-2012, 06:36 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Graham Watkins
<shellycat.gw@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On 28/04/12 22:25, David Fletcher wrote:
>
> This was easy enough to do with Maverick.
>
> I've got a CF card plugged into a USB reader/writer that I want to
> format. The only application I can find that's supposed to do this is
> gnome-format but I can't get it to do anything, or even start up and
> show itself.
>
> How can I do this in 12.04 ?
>
> Dave
>

> The following is pasted from pendrivelinux.com. I've used this method
> before. Assuming that fdisk -l shows your card to be sdx,* there's no reason
> why it shouldn't work for you.
>
> Restoring your USB key to it's original state using Linux:
>
> A. First we need to delete the old partitions that remain on the USB key.
>
> *** Open a terminal and type sudo su
> *** Type fdisk -l and note your USB drive letter.
> *** Type fdisk /dev/sdx (replacing x with your drive letter)
> *** Type d to proceed to delete a partition
> *** Type 1 to select the 1st partition and press enter
> *** Type d to proceed to delete another partition (fdisk should
> automatically select the second partition)
>
> B. Next we need to create the new partition.
>
> *** Type n to make a new partition
> *** Type p to make this partition primary and press enter
> *** Type 1 to make this the first partition and then press enter
> *** Press enter to accept the default first cylinder
> *** Press enter again to accept the default last cylinder
> *** Type w to write the new partition information to the USB key
> *** Type umount /dev/sdx1 (replacing x with your drive letter)
>
> C. The last step is to create the fat filesystem.
>
> *** Type mkfs.vfat -F 32 /dev/sdx1 (replacing x with your USB key drive
> letter)
>
> That's it, you should now have a restored USB key with a single fat 32
> partition that can be read from any computer.
>
> It's always worked for me,

I believe you, but this is not *quite* the original state. For that
you need to set the partition type in fdisk (the 't' command) to be
some M$ type, like 'c'. Other types are possible for small drives,
but there's not much point.

By default, fdisk will have created the partition with a Linux type,
probably 83 unless your fdisk is *very* old and sets it to 81.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD