FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-28-2012, 02:14 PM
Lawrence Houston
 
Default Ubuntu 12.04: Compiz Segfault

Ubuntu Users:

After upgrading from Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu 12.04 the 3D Unity Interface
NO longer works, therefore I am restricted to using the 2D Interface.
Syslog is reporting Compiz Segfaults, with compiz.desktop respawning too
quickly... After the Coloured Background appears, that is wiped clean
leaving a "Blank" Screen... Very occasionally a Compiz Error pops up,
although that disappears before I have time to read or interact with it...


Graphics Card is an NVIDIA GeForce 6200 and I had the same "Problem" with
either of the currently available NVIDIA Drivers installed...


Any IDEAs what is going "Wrong"???

Lawrence Houston -- (ubuntu@greenfield.dyndns.org)

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-29-2012, 03:06 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi
 
Default Ubuntu 12.04: Compiz Segfault

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Lawrence Houston
<ubuntu@greenfield.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Ubuntu Users:
>
> After upgrading from Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu 12.04 the 3D Unity Interface NO
> longer works, therefore I am restricted to using the 2D Interface. Syslog is
> reporting Compiz Segfaults, with compiz.desktop respawning too quickly...
> *After the Coloured Background appears, that is wiped clean leaving a
> "Blank" Screen... *Very occasionally a Compiz Error pops up, although that
> disappears before I have time to read or interact with it...
>
> Graphics Card is an NVIDIA GeForce 6200 and I had the same "Problem" with
> either of the currently available NVIDIA Drivers installed...
>
> Any IDEAs what is going "Wrong"???
>
> Lawrence Houston *-- *(ubuntu@greenfield.dyndns.org)

Had a similar problem with Precise Beta clean install and a desktop
just assembled (Athlon X2). Updates to Precise final release didn't
solve the issue. Removed the NVidia proprietary driver and Compiz
stopped crashing. It wasn't even possible to report the issue because
the crash also killed the keyboard.

Seems it's too early to adopt 12.04 Precise.

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Open Source Implementation
System and Applications
GNU/Linux

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-29-2012, 03:36 AM
Samsul Maarif
 
Default Ubuntu 12.04: Compiz Segfault

Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
Seems it's too early to adopt 12.04 Precise. L.

Just wait for 12.04.1 :P

Regards,
samsulmaarif_

blog : http://www.samsul.web.id http://blog.samsul.web.id

--
Sent from SeaMonkey mail client in Linux system


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-29-2012, 04:49 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi
 
Default Ubuntu 12.04: Compiz Segfault

On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Samsul Maarif <mail@samsul.web.id> wrote:
> Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>>
>> Seems it's too early to adopt 12.04 Precise.
>
> Just wait for 12.04.1 :P
>

... at least, but then, if it weren't for the naive early adopters it
would take much longer to address the worst bugs.

Launchpad, right now, lists precisely 282 critical and high importance
bugs for Precise, of a total of 659 open bugs and I still couldn't
find a Language Setting bug that prevented me from enabling a
different language for an user, which meant I had to scrap the whole
new install (thank Zeus it was a new install and not an upgrade, I
hate upgrades) and waste a couple of hours in the process.

One has to be really innocent to install 12.04 in a production machine
at this moment. Canonical should stop setting fixed intervals of six
months between releases. Its a nice marketing strategy but with
dubious results.

Just my sour couple of cents.

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng.
Open Source Implementation
System and Applications
GNU/Linux

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-29-2012, 04:54 AM
chris
 
Default Ubuntu 12.04: Compiz Segfault

On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 01:49 -0300, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Samsul Maarif <mail@samsul.web.id> wrote:

>
> One has to be really innocent to install 12.04 in a production machine
> at this moment. Canonical should stop setting fixed intervals of six
> months between releases. Its a nice marketing strategy but with
> dubious results.
>
> Just my sour couple of cents.
>
> L.
+1


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Lawrence Houston
 
Default Ubuntu 12.04: Compiz Segfault

Ubuntu Users:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:


On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Lawrence Houston
<ubuntu@greenfield.dyndns.org> wrote:


After upgrading from Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu 12.04 the 3D Unity Interface NO
longer works, therefore I am restricted to using the 2D Interface. Syslog is
reporting Compiz Segfaults, with compiz.desktop respawning too quickly...
*After the Coloured Background appears, that is wiped clean leaving a
"Blank" Screen... *Very occasionally a Compiz Error pops up, although that
disappears before I have time to read or interact with it...

Graphics Card is an NVIDIA GeForce 6200 and I had the same "Problem" with
either of the currently available NVIDIA Drivers installed...


Had a similar problem with Precise Beta clean install and a desktop
just assembled (Athlon X2). Updates to Precise final release didn't
solve the issue. Removed the NVidia proprietary driver and Compiz
stopped crashing. It wasn't even possible to report the issue because
the crash also killed the keyboard.


With my GeForce 6200, removing the NVidia Proprietary Driver drops the
System back to the 2D Interface (the same as Selecting Ubuntu 2D at the
Login Screen)??? With the previous releases of Ubuntu which offered the
3D Unity Interface, NVidia's Proprietary Driver was Required...


Lawrence Houston -- (ubuntu@greenfield.dyndns.org)--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Ric Moore
 
Default Ubuntu 12.04: Compiz Segfault

On 04/28/2012 11:06 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Lawrence Houston
<ubuntu@greenfield.dyndns.org> wrote:

Ubuntu Users:

After upgrading from Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu 12.04 the 3D Unity Interface NO
longer works, therefore I am restricted to using the 2D Interface. Syslog is
reporting Compiz Segfaults, with compiz.desktop respawning too quickly...
After the Coloured Background appears, that is wiped clean leaving a
"Blank" Screen... Very occasionally a Compiz Error pops up, although that
disappears before I have time to read or interact with it...

Graphics Card is an NVIDIA GeForce 6200 and I had the same "Problem" with
either of the currently available NVIDIA Drivers installed...

Any IDEAs what is going "Wrong"???


Have you run computer janitor yet to clean up after the upgrade? Ric



--
My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say:
"There are two Great Sins in the world...
..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity.
Only the former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad.
http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Craig White
 
Default Ubuntu 12.04: Compiz Segfault

On Sun, 2012-04-29 at 01:49 -0300, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 12:36 AM, Samsul Maarif <mail@samsul.web.id> wrote:
> > Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
> >>
> >> Seems it's too early to adopt 12.04 Precise.
> >
> > Just wait for 12.04.1 :P
> >
>
> ... at least, but then, if it weren't for the naive early adopters it
> would take much longer to address the worst bugs.
>
> Launchpad, right now, lists precisely 282 critical and high importance
> bugs for Precise, of a total of 659 open bugs and I still couldn't
> find a Language Setting bug that prevented me from enabling a
> different language for an user, which meant I had to scrap the whole
> new install (thank Zeus it was a new install and not an upgrade, I
> hate upgrades) and waste a couple of hours in the process.
>
> One has to be really innocent to install 12.04 in a production machine
> at this moment. Canonical should stop setting fixed intervals of six
> months between releases. Its a nice marketing strategy but with
> dubious results.
>
> Just my sour couple of cents.
----
the only way to identify some of the bugs is to get it out there where
there are large numbers of users with wide varieties of usage patterns
and hardware.

Bug reports are the proper mechanism to report issues and get resolution
and honestly, 300 or 700 bug reports are probably not a lot in the
greater scheme of things because there are probably a bunch of duplicate
bug reports and some that probably aren't even bugs at all. I think past
versions of newly released Windows or OSX have been shipped with
thousands of known bugs.

When someone refers to the installation on a 'production machine', that
assumes a common understanding of what constitutes a production machine.
If you have a critical need for a computer, then yes, it's probably a
good idea to wait a month or two before installing any newly released
OS, whether it is Linux, Windows, Macintosh. LTS means that you have a 5
year window so remaining on say 10.04 at this point is not a bad thing.

As for the fixed interval releases... Seems obvious that this has been a
successful tactic not only for Canonical/Ubuntu but also Fedora. The
reality is that there is no perfect timing for software that is
constantly being revised/improved/developed.

Craig


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.


--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-29-2012, 02:00 PM
Lawrence Houston
 
Default Ubuntu 12.04: Compiz Segfault

Ubuntu Users:

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012, Ric Moore wrote:


On 04/28/2012 11:06 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:

On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Lawrence Houston
<ubuntu@greenfield.dyndns.org> wrote:


After upgrading from Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu 12.04 the 3D Unity Interface
NO
longer works, therefore I am restricted to using the 2D Interface. Syslog
is

reporting Compiz Segfaults, with compiz.desktop respawning too quickly...
After the Coloured Background appears, that is wiped clean leaving a
"Blank" Screen... Very occasionally a Compiz Error pops up, although that
disappears before I have time to read or interact with it...

Graphics Card is an NVIDIA GeForce 6200 and I had the same "Problem" with
either of the currently available NVIDIA Drivers installed...

Any IDEAs what is going "Wrong"???


Have you run computer janitor yet to clean up after the upgrade? Ric


Just ran Computer Janitor, but I still can NOT run Unity in the 3D Mode.

Lawrence Houston -- (ubuntu@greenfield.dyndns.org)

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Colin Law
 
Default Ubuntu 12.04: Compiz Segfault

On 29 April 2012 15:00, Lawrence Houston <ubuntu@greenfield.dyndns.org> wrote:
> Ubuntu Users:
>
>
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2012, Ric Moore wrote:
>
>> On 04/28/2012 11:06 PM, Lucio M Nicolosi wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sat, Apr 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Lawrence Houston
>>> <ubuntu@greenfield.dyndns.org> *wrote:
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> After upgrading from Ubuntu 11.10 to Ubuntu 12.04 the 3D Unity Interface
>>>> NO
>>>> longer works, therefore I am restricted to using the 2D Interface.
>>>> Syslog is
>>>> reporting Compiz Segfaults, with compiz.desktop respawning too
>>>> quickly...
>>>> *After the Coloured Background appears, that is wiped clean leaving a
>>>> "Blank" Screen... *Very occasionally a Compiz Error pops up, although
>>>> that
>>>> disappears before I have time to read or interact with it...
>>>>
>>>> Graphics Card is an NVIDIA GeForce 6200 and I had the same "Problem"
>>>> with
>>>> either of the currently available NVIDIA Drivers installed...
>>>>
>>>> Any IDEAs what is going "Wrong"???
>>
>>
>> Have you run computer janitor yet to clean up after the upgrade? Ric
>
>
> Just ran Computer Janitor, but I still can NOT run Unity in the 3D Mode.

Try, in a terminal running
unity --reset
and log out and in again.
This should reset compiz settings which may help. If still no joy see
what happens if you login as a different user. That may indicate
whether it is a system wide problem or a problem with the users
config.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:58 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org