Old 04-27-2012, 05:23 PM
Jim Hanlon

Default After 11.10 > 12.04 upgrade on Thinkpad W520 - mouse input is broken

After upgrading from 11.10 to 12.04 on a Thinkpad W520 system
all mouse/pointer input devices (on this machine that includes the
so-called 'TrackPoint pointing stick', a 'TouchPad', and, what I
actually use, a generic wireless USB mouse) fail to work properly. The
pointer is 'stuck' along the left edge of the screen. The pointer can be
moved vertically, but not horizontally.

Examining /etc/X11/xorg.conf I see that the 'upgrade-manager' has
commented out all the traditional configuration for the mouse (and
keyboard) with a pointer to /etc/default/console-setup. Looking there, I
find nothing that seems to refer to mouse configuration.

Trolling /var/logs and dmesg for complaints about 'mouse' doesn't turn up anything.

This seems like something way too basic to just stop working on an
upgrade, but I'm at a loss to see what the upgrade has messed up. Any
suggestions of what to look at would be very much appreciated.