Old 04-27-2012, 05:14 PM
oxy

Default One Virtualbox Machine for all users in ubuntu

Hi

I installed Vbox on Ubu 12.04, then WinXP in it,
but as root. I wanna run this XP install from all users.
I did
chmod -R +r /home/vbox (the install dir)
chmod +x /home/vbox (and all subdirs)
chown -R root:vboxusers /home/vbox

I added VBOX_USER_HOME=/home/vbox
to the file /etc/environment

I added user1 to the group vboxusers in /etc/group.

I login as user1, run virtualbox and do not see the
win xp I've i stalled as root. Any help?

Thx

Old 04-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Rigved Rakshit

Hi

I installed Vbox on Ubu 12.04, then WinXP in it,

but as root. I wanna run this XP install from all users.

I did

* * chmod -R +r /home/vbox * (the install dir)

* * chmod +x */home/vbox * * *(and all subdirs)

* * chown -R root:vboxusers /home/vbox

I added * VBOX_USER_HOME=/home/vbox

to the file /etc/environment

I added user1 to the group vboxusers in /etc/group.

I do not know if what you have done is the correct way to share a VM. I have never tried it myself. But I would think that the correct way would be to start the VM in your account and then have user1 connect to it via Remmima Remote Desktop Client. But anyway...

*

I login as user1, run virtualbox and do not see the

win xp I've i stalled as root. Any help?

You might have to also copy the .Virtualbox (i.e., dot Virtualbox) hidden folder from your Home directory to /home/user1/

Best Regards,
Rigved Rakshit

Old 04-30-2012, 03:00 PM
oxy

> You might have to also copy the .Virtualbox (i.e., dot Virtualbox) hidden folder from your Home directory to /home/user1/

No, its not a config folder or so, its the complete VM install.
I just wanna let all unix users use that VM.

Old 05-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Gelonida N

You might have to also copy the .Virtualbox (i.e., dot Virtualbox) hidden folder from your Home directory to /home/user1/

No, its not a config folder or so, its the complete VM install.
I just wanna let all unix users use that VM.

Well the config folder contains config files, that indicate, where the
VMs are located.
If the config file isn't copy other users will not be able to locate the
'shared' VM