Old 04-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Colin Law

Default Force setting standard paper A4

On 27 April 2012 10:56, oxy <oxyopes@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> every day I send a print job to the big printer, run 20m over the corredor
> to read: "Insert us-letter". At ubuntu sys-settings it is A4, on /etc/cups
> there is nothing about us-letter.

Which app are you printing from? Have you got the default set to
us-letter there? Or if it is a particular document then that doc set
to us-letter?

Colin

Old 04-27-2012, 10:44 AM
oxy

> Which app are you printing from? Have you got the default set to
> us-letter there? Or if it is a particular document then that doc set
> to us-letter?

right, cant i by default overwrite the apps configuration to A4.
Trying now firefox, its set to usletter. No idea where i can change it :-

Old 04-27-2012, 11:06 AM
Colin Law

On 27 April 2012 11:44, oxy <oxyopes@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Which app are you printing from? *Have you got the default set to
>> us-letter there? *Or if it is a particular document then that doc set
>> to us-letter?
>
> right, cant i by default overwrite the apps configuration to A4.
> Trying now firefox, its set to usletter. No idea where i can change it :-

There should be a default setting for each app, though some will pick
up from system I think. Google should find it for you for setting
firefox.

Colin

Old 04-27-2012, 11:18 AM
oxy

uau... so the apps config cannot be overwritten?

I did change on firefox. But it doesnt help ! :-/

OBS: i did
about:config
print.postscript.paper_size set value to “A4″

Old 04-27-2012, 11:30 AM
oxy

> iirc that gets set based on the timezone that was selected at install
> time or so ...
> try: sudo dpkg-reconfigure libpaper1

... this solved for many apps (office ...) but not for firefox.
Guess, i ll have to live with that ...

Thx oli...

Old 04-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
On Fri, 27 Apr 2012 13:30:03 +0200
oxy <oxyopes@googlemail.com> wrote:

> > iirc that gets set based on the timezone that was selected at
> > install time or so ...
> > try: sudo dpkg-reconfigure libpaper1
>
> ... this solved for many apps (office ...) but not for firefox.
> Guess, i ll have to live with that ...
>
> Thx oli...

it is definitely worth filing a bug report for it, even firefox is
supposed to pick up the system defaults from libpaper unless you
changed the app settings for firefox manually at any point in time.

ciao
oli

Old 04-27-2012, 02:14 PM
oxy

> it is definitely worth filing a bug report for it, even firefox is
> supposed to pick up the system defaults from libpaper unless you
> changed the app settings for firefox manually at any point in time.

no, I hadnt changed any settings manually up to now.
I'll write the bug report...

thx

Old 04-27-2012, 08:16 PM
Colin Law

On 27 April 2012 12:30, oxy <oxyopes@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> iirc that gets set based on the timezone that was selected at install
>> time or so ...
>> try: sudo dpkg-reconfigure libpaper1
>
> ... this solved for many apps (office ...) but not for firefox.
> Guess, i ll have to live with that ...

If you go to print from FF and set the paper size in the print
settings to A4 then presumably it is ok for that print. Does it then
stay at A4 possibly for further prints?

Colin

Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 AM
oxy

> If you go to print from FF and set the paper size in the print
> settings to A4 then presumably it is ok for that print. Does it then
> stay at A4 possibly for further prints?

i did
about:config
print.postscript.paper_size set value to “A4″

nothing changes ...

Old 04-30-2012, 08:00 AM
Colin Law

On 30 April 2012 08:34, oxy <oxyopes@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> If you go to print from FF and set the paper size in the print
>> settings to A4 then presumably it is ok for that print. *Does it then
>> stay at A4 possibly for further prints?
>
> i did
> * about:config
> * print.postscript.paper_size set value to “A4″
>
> nothing changes ...

I did not mean that. From Firefox select Print and on Page Setup tab
select paper size A4. Does that then work and does it stick?

Further to what you have said above, also check
print.print_paper_size. Also in the search bar on about:config enter
paper_size and check that all the entries for the various printers are
set to User Set (at least that is what mine are set to).

Colin