Old 04-27-2012, 04:07 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

Default Fwd: How to remove GRUB

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Subject: How to remove GRUB
To: ubuntu-users-owner@lists.ubuntu.com

I've got a laptop with serious physical damage. *It kinda still works.
*I'm planning to sell it for parts on eBay. *It still has Vista, but I
want to remove all traces of my work in Ubuntu. *If I just wipe the
Ubuntu partition, GRUB stops working, because the GRUB menu gets
wiped.

Thus, I want to remove GRUB, or at least, re-enable MS booting.

Any clues?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 04-27-2012, 04:16 AM
Steve Grace

I've got a laptop with serious physical damage. It kinda still works.
I'm planning to sell it for parts on eBay. It still has Vista, but I
want to remove all traces of my work in Ubuntu. If I just wipe the
Ubuntu partition, GRUB stops working, because the GRUB menu gets
wiped.

Thus, I want to remove GRUB, or at least, re-enable MS booting.

I don't know about Vista, but in Windows XP one could boot from the
Windows CD, select the recovery console, and enter the command FIXMBR.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:26 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 9:16 PM, Steve Grace <sgrace@pobox.com> wrote:
> On 04/26/2012 09:07 PM, Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
>
>> I've got a laptop with serious physical damage. *It kinda still works.
>> *I'm planning to sell it for parts on eBay. *It still has Vista, but I
>> want to remove all traces of my work in Ubuntu. *If I just wipe the
>> Ubuntu partition, GRUB stops working, because the GRUB menu gets
>> wiped.
>>
>> Thus, I want to remove GRUB, or at least, re-enable MS booting.
>

> I don't know about Vista, but in Windows XP one could boot from the Windows
> CD, select the recovery console, and enter the command FIXMBR.

If I still had the CD, I'd try that.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 04-27-2012, 05:35 AM
"d~_*b"

On 27 April 2012 09:56, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't know about Vista, but in Windows XP one could boot from the Windows

> CD, select the recovery console, and enter the command FIXMBR.

If I still had the CD, I'd try that.
Vista is slightly different, if you wipe GRUB you have a good chance of encountering the ootcd error when booting the laptop.

Try these steps 1st :**http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392*

-- & Ru

Old 04-27-2012, 02:13 PM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM, d~_*b <theunknownandrew@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 April 2012 09:56, Kevin O'Gorman <kogorman@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> > I don't know about Vista, but in Windows XP one could boot from the
>> > Windows
>> > CD, select the recovery console, and enter the command FIXMBR.
>>
>> If I still had the CD, I'd try that.
>

> Vista is slightly different, if you wipe GRUB you have a good chance of
> encountering the ootcd error when booting the laptop.
>
> Try these steps 1st :**http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Also requires a CD. If I still have it, I don't know where it is. I'm
pretty sure Dell does not supply the M$ CD, and GRUB won't boot the
recovery partition that is on the machine, possibly because of
repartitioning.

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 04-27-2012, 02:36 PM
Jeffrey Gray

Download one from a torrent.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Nils Kassube

Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> Also requires a CD. If I still have it, I don't know where it is.
> I'm pretty sure Dell does not supply the M$ CD, and GRUB won't boot
> the recovery partition that is on the machine, possibly because of
> repartitioning.

Have a look at <https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringWindows>
section "Reinstating Windows" at the end.

Nils

Old 04-27-2012, 04:05 PM
Rashkae