Old 04-26-2012, 11:11 PM
Barry Premeaux

Default System Settings Missing in 12.04

Just installed 12.04 on my laptop (Axis K601). Systems Settings is missing from the upper right of the screen. Checked screen settings and they are correct. Haven't figured out how to configure the upper panel. Didn't find it in System Settings. How can I correct this?

Old 04-27-2012, 07:38 AM
Colin Law

On 27 April 2012 00:11, Barry Premeaux <bpremeaux@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just installed 12.04 on my laptop (Axis K601). Systems Settings is missing
> from the upper right of the screen. Checked screen settings and they are
> correct. Haven't figured out how to configure the upper panel. Didn't find
> it in System Settings. How can I correct this?

Do you mean the cog in the top right hand corner is missing, or that
System Settings is missing from the drop down from the cog?

Are the other items in the top panel ok? Time, User, Network, Sound etc.

I don't necessarily know the answer in either case but lets get the
problem clear first.

Any rude message is syslog (run Log File Viewer)?

Colin

Old 04-27-2012, 04:34 PM
Barry Premeaux

Do you mean the cog in the top right hand corner is missing, or that

System Settings is missing from the drop down from the cog?

Are the other items in the top panel ok? *Time, User, Network, Sound etc.

The cog that was there, while running it live from the CD, isn't there.* Other items are there as they should be.* Had to log out from my user session to get to the user log in screen.* Then, I could do a shut down.* That is, until that stopped working.

Had some other issues with Unity.* I keep my /home on a separate partition.* When I do a new install, I reformat /root and simply mount /home.* This has worked fine.* There are occasional issues with newer versions of an application.* They can be cleared up by simply saving the associated hidden directory to a new name and letting the new app restore it.

I was having other issues with the launcher menu.* Missing icons for one.* The Systems Settings icon was missing, but there was a blank space where it was located and a pop up ID.* Click on the blank space and it launches.* Terminal was the same way.* Not all of the Libreoffice applications were available.* Draw and Base were missing.* Installing Libreoffice launcher app took care of that issue.* I installed several applications and for some of them the icon would say "Waiting to finish install."* Yet, the software manager says the installation is complete.* If I reboot, the application is ready for use.

Looking for basic accessories, I wanted a calculator app.* The software manager says one is installed.* Couldn't get it to launch from the cli, so installed KCalc.* It installed fine and was on the launcher panel.* After a reboot, the icon disappeared and left me with a blank space and the pop up indicating it was there.* Click on the blank space and it launches as it should.

I had several application launchers and a couple spreadsheet files in the desktop directory that were carried over to this installation.* As the apps were installed, they picked up there icons as they should.* But, the spreadsheet files didn't pick up the Libreoffice Calc icon that had been there prior to this installation.

I finally installed the Xubuntu desktop and everything is back to normal.* All the applications that are installed can be easily found in the menu.* The two spreadsheets icons appear on the desktop just as they should.* A right click on the desktop gives you easy access to the tools you need to manage the system.

For me, Unity just doesn't work.* I had LinuMint 12 loaded, but they were getting slow on doing updates to a kernel that had known issues with removable flash drives.* I like what I see with Xubuntu.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 PM
Colin Law

On 27 April 2012 17:34, Barry Premeaux <bpremeaux@gmail.com> wrote:

>> Do you mean the cog in the top right hand corner is missing, or that
>> System Settings is missing from the drop down from the cog?
>>
>> Are the other items in the top panel ok? *Time, User, Network, Sound etc.
>>
> The cog that was there, while running it live from the CD, isn't there.
> Other items are there as they should be.* Had to log out from my user
> session to get to the user log in screen.* Then, I could do a shut down.
> That is, until that stopped working.
>
> Had some other issues with Unity.* I keep my /home on a separate partition.
> When I do a new install, I reformat /root and simply mount /home.* This has
> worked fine.* There are occasional issues with newer versions of an
> application.* They can be cleared up by simply saving the associated hidden
> directory to a new name and letting the new app restore it.
>
> I was having other issues with the launcher menu.* Missing icons for one.
> The Systems Settings icon was missing, but there was a blank space where it
> was located and a pop up ID.* Click on the blank space and it launches.
> Terminal was the same way.* Not all of the Libreoffice applications were
> available.* Draw and Base were missing.* Installing Libreoffice launcher app
> took care of that issue.* I installed several applications and for some of
> them the icon would say "Waiting to finish install."* Yet, the software
> manager says the installation is complete.* If I reboot, the application is
> ready for use.
>
> Looking for basic accessories, I wanted a calculator app.* The software
> manager says one is installed.* Couldn't get it to launch from the cli, so
> installed KCalc.* It installed fine and was on the launcher panel.* After a
> reboot, the icon disappeared and left me with a blank space and the pop up
> indicating it was there.* Click on the blank space and it launches as it
> should.
>
> I had several application launchers and a couple spreadsheet files in the
> desktop directory that were carried over to this installation.* As the apps
> were installed, they picked up there icons as they should.* But, the
> spreadsheet files didn't pick up the Libreoffice Calc icon that had been
> there prior to this installation.
>
> I finally installed the Xubuntu desktop and everything is back to normal.
> All the applications that are installed can be easily found in the menu.
> The two spreadsheets icons appear on the desktop just as they should.* A
> right click on the desktop gives you easy access to the tools you need to
> manage the system.
>
> For me, Unity just doesn't work.* I had LinuMint 12 loaded, but they were
> getting slow on doing updates to a kernel that had known issues with
> removable flash drives.* I like what I see with Xubuntu.

It sounds like it is too late to try now, but did you keep an existing
/home partition when you installed 12.04? If so did you have Mint
installed before that? If so then I wonder whether you had some
incompatible settings in your user directory. Did you try creating a
new user and seeing if it was ok then?

Colin

Old 04-27-2012, 10:44 PM
Barry Premeaux

It sounds like it is too late to try now, but did you keep an existing

/home partition when you installed 12.04? *If so did you have Mint

installed before that? *If so then I wonder whether you had some

incompatible settings in your user directory. *Did you try creating a

new user and seeing if it was ok then?

Yes, I retained my /home directory.* I just created a new user and logged into that.* It come ups clean and appears as it should.* I see that it retains a .gnome2 directory rather than creating a separate for Unity.* LinuxMint had created a separate hidden directory for Meta.

I am wondering if I can get away with renaming the old .gnome2 in my old /home. Then log out and then back in and let it recreate it.* That works with applications.* Never tried it with the desktop.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Barry Premeaux

I am wondering if I can get away with renaming the old .gnome2 in my old /home. Then log out and then back in and let it recreate it.* That works with applications.* Never tried it with the desktop.

Just played around with renaming .gnome2 and some of the other associated desktop files, but it didn't totally correct it.* I guess I can refresh my back up and do a totally new install.* I think I'll play with the new user for awhile first.

Barry