Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 PM
Mike Kupfer

Default unable to update update-manager-core

I tried installing a recent set of 11.10 (Oneiric) updates, and I kept
getting this failure on update-manager-core:

dpkg: ../../src/archives.c:985: tarobject: Assertion `r == stab.st_size' failed.

I saw the failures with both Update Manager and apt-get. I have a copy
of the log from "sudo apt-get upgrade" if anyone wants it. What was
particularly frustrating about this is that it was difficult to recover
from. dpkg wanted me to do a reinstall before removing
update-manager-core, but reinstall would fail with this same assertion
failure. I ended up doing

dpkg -r -force-remove-reinstreq update-manager-core

The system is a 32-bit VirtualBox guest, running on a 64-bit 11.10 host.

Two questions:

1. Was there a better way to handle this?

2. Should I file a bug? I saw filesystem corruption (long list of
complaints from e2fsck after the upgrade failure), so I don't know if
I was seeing a problem with the packaging software, the filesystem
(ext4), or VirtualBox. I didn't have any problems with the
corresponding updates on the host.

thanks,
mike