Old 04-26-2012, 03:39 PM

Default AW: Restoring the old gnome desktop

< RANT ON >
I just want to work efficiently! Changing the layout of the desktop ruins my work flow until I learn all the ins and outs. Just when I am comfortable with the new way of doing things, they change things. Using Linux is all about having choices, why not offer a true Gnome classic for all of us that don't want change just for the sake of changing. You could do internal things to improve the efficiency of the desktop without changing the look and feel. Unity does have its place on tablets or other devices with small screens. It just doesn't make sense on desktops with a big monitor. If this means that there are two types of desktops, so be it!
<RANT OFF>

Bill Stanley

There is a true Gnome 2 fork called Mate.
In my opionion it's a dead horse..

Unity discussion was hold many times on this lists, and everybody got the same response:

Use Mate, Gnome Fallback, XFCE, LXDE or the Gnome 3 with addons that it makes look like Gnome 2 (I've forgot the name).

Some people like Unity, some don't.