Old 04-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Ma Xiaojun

Default Restoring the old gnome desktop

Would you try gnome-panel in 12.04 LTS?
http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/gnome-panel

Old 04-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Albert Wagner

On 04/25/2012 05:26 PM, Joep L. Blom wrote:

On 26-04-12 00:09, Bill Stanley wrote:

I knew I was going to regret switching to the Unity desktop and I was
right! I was assured that I could choose to use the Classic Gnome
desktop if I didn't like Unity. I ungraded to version 11.10 and I can't
find how to choose the classic desktop. On the previous version, I could
at least choose to use the Gnome Classic desktop.

I did go to the software repository and downloaded Gnome 3. I thought
that would restore the Gnome desktop (No dice). I looked at the Help
menu and I was unable to find it. So the question is... What must I do
to get back to the Gnome desktop.

Bill Stanley

Use Xubuntu.
Joep

Yes, If you want to stay with Ubuntu, then use Xubuntu. It's actually
better than any Gnome 2 look-alike that Ubuntu is capable of. Also,
check out SolusOS.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:12 AM
Steven Davies-Morris

I knew I was going to regret switching to the Unity desktop and I was
right! I was assured that I could choose to use the Classic Gnome
desktop if I didn't like Unity. I ungraded to version 11.10 and I can't
find how to choose the classic desktop. On the previous version, I could
at least choose to use the Gnome Classic desktop.

I did go to the software repository and downloaded Gnome 3. I thought
that would restore the Gnome desktop (No dice). I looked at the Help
menu and I was unable to find it. So the question is... What must I do
to get back to the Gnome desktop.

Bill Stanley

This is all fixable with MATE, which I have been using for several
months and is *great*. I'm too lit right now to dig it all up (bedtime
here) but I promise to post tomorrow the links you will need to d/l and
get going a marvelous feature-rich, error-free, classic Gnome-2 clone.

--
SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net

Old 04-26-2012, 05:55 AM
"G. "

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Steven Davies-Morris
<sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
> On 04/25/2012 03:09 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:
>>
>> I knew I was going to regret switching to the Unity desktop and I was
>> right! I was assured that I could choose to use the Classic Gnome
>> desktop if I didn't like Unity. I ungraded to version 11.10 and I can't
>> find how to choose the classic desktop. On the previous version, I could
>> at least choose to use the Gnome Classic desktop.
>>
>> I did go to the software repository and downloaded Gnome 3. I thought
>> that would restore the Gnome desktop (No dice). I looked at the Help
>> menu and I was unable to find it. So the question is... What must I do
>> to get back to the Gnome desktop.
>>
>> Bill Stanley
>

> This is all fixable with MATE, which I have been using for several months
> and is *great*. *I'm too lit right now to dig it all up (bedtime here) but I
> promise to post tomorrow the links you will need to d/l and get going a
> marvelous feature-rich, error-free, classic Gnome-2 clone.
> --
> SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
> Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net
> "overfulnoisecascade" CD coming soon

I installed gnome from software center in 11.04, 11.10 and 12.04. You
can then choose that desktop when you login. I think you can choose
Gnome classic but I'd have to go check again.

garyk

Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 AM
"G. "

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:55 AM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Steven Davies-Morris
> <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:
>> On 04/25/2012 03:09 PM, Bill Stanley wrote:
>>>
>>> I knew I was going to regret switching to the Unity desktop and I was
>>> right! I was assured that I could choose to use the Classic Gnome
>>> desktop if I didn't like Unity. I ungraded to version 11.10 and I can't
>>> find how to choose the classic desktop. On the previous version, I could
>>> at least choose to use the Gnome Classic desktop.
>>>
>>> I did go to the software repository and downloaded Gnome 3. I thought
>>> that would restore the Gnome desktop (No dice). I looked at the Help
>>> menu and I was unable to find it. So the question is... What must I do
>>> to get back to the Gnome desktop.
>>>
>>> Bill Stanley
>>

>> This is all fixable with MATE, which I have been using for several months
>> and is *great*. *I'm too lit right now to dig it all up (bedtime here) but I
>> promise to post tomorrow the links you will need to d/l and get going a
>> marvelous feature-rich, error-free, classic Gnome-2 clone.
>> --
>> SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
>> Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net
>> "overfulnoisecascade" CD coming soon
>>

>> --
>
> I installed gnome from software center in 11.04, 11.10 and 12.04. *You
> can then choose that desktop when you login. *I think you can choose
> Gnome classic but I'd have to go check again.
>

> garyk

I have just now logged into gnome classic. You could also choose
gnome 2d no effects. In this version I can still switch between
desktops. This is in 12.04. Is this what you need?

I will now go check in 11.04. I do not have 11.10 installed.

garyk

Old 04-26-2012, 06:39 AM
"G. "

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 8:31 AM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:55 AM, G. <pegngaryubuntu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Steven Davies-Morris
>> <sdavmor@systemstheory.net> wrote:

>>> This is all fixable with MATE, which I have been using for several months
>>> and is *great*. *I'm too lit right now to dig it all up (bedtime here) but I
>>> promise to post tomorrow the links you will need to d/l and get going a
>>> marvelous feature-rich, error-free, classic Gnome-2 clone.
>>> --
>>> SDM a 21st century schizoid man in SoCal
>>> Systems Theory website www.systemstheory.net
>>> "overfulnoisecascade" CD coming soon
>>>

>>> --
>>
>> I installed gnome from software center in 11.04, 11.10 and 12.04. *You
>> can then choose that desktop when you login. *I think you can choose
>> Gnome classic but I'd have to go check again.
>>

>> garyk
>
> I have just now logged into gnome classic. *You could also choose
> gnome 2d no effects. *In this version I can still switch between
> desou ktops. *This is in 12.04. *Is this what you need?
>
> I will now go check in 11.04. *I do not have 11.10 installed.
>
> garyk

And here I am in Gnome classic in 11.04.

After you install gnome all you have to do is logout, choose gnmome
from the menu on the bottom, and log back in.

garyk

Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 PM
R Kimber

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 22:12:55 -0700
Steven Davies-Morris wrote:

> This is all fixable with MATE, which I have been using for several
> months and is *great*. I'm too lit right now to dig it all up (bedtime
> here) but I promise to post tomorrow the links you will need to d/l and
> get going a marvelous feature-rich, error-free, classic Gnome-2 clone.

I've been experimenting with Mint and Gnome+MATE, and so far it seems
pretty good.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber