-   -   Upgrade to 12.04 from CD (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/659441-upgrade-12-04-cd.html)

Nils Kassube 04-25-2012 10:29 AM

Upgrade to 12.04 from CD

Colin Law wrote:
> Arghh, no it isn't. The option is available along with Install
> Alongside and so on, but the Upgrade option is not selectable.
> Perhaps this will not be enabled until the final release.

Which CD did you try? IIRC, you can only upgrade from the alternate CD,
not the LiveCD.

Nils

Colin Law 04-25-2012 10:38 AM

Upgrade to 12.04 from CD

On 25 April 2012 11:29, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
> Colin Law wrote:
>> Arghh, no it isn't. *The option is available along with Install
>> Alongside and so on, but the Upgrade option is not selectable.
>> Perhaps this will not be enabled until the final release.
>
> Which CD did you try? IIRC, you can only upgrade from the alternate CD,
> not the LiveCD.

The option was added to the live CD a couple of releases ago. As I
said it is now presenting me with the option but it is not selectable.
I wonder whether that code is some of the last to be finalised and
therefore may not be reliable until the final release, so it is
disabled till then. I may just have to wait a few more days.

Colin

Colin Law 04-27-2012 10:25 AM

Upgrade to 12.04 from CD

On 25 April 2012 11:38, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 25 April 2012 11:29, Nils Kassube <kassube@gmx.net> wrote:
>> Colin Law wrote:
>>> Arghh, no it isn't. *The option is available along with Install
>>> Alongside and so on, but the Upgrade option is not selectable.
>>> Perhaps this will not be enabled until the final release.
>>
>> Which CD did you try? IIRC, you can only upgrade from the alternate CD,
>> not the LiveCD.
>
> The option was added to the live CD a couple of releases ago. *As I
> said it is now presenting me with the option but it is not selectable.
> *I wonder whether that code is some of the last to be finalised and
> therefore may not be reliable until the final release, so it is
> disabled till then. *I may just have to wait a few more days.

I have now got the released desktop i386 12.04 CD image and still have
the problem that though I am presented with the option to upgrade from
the CD, the option is disabled. After some experimentation I
discovered that it is only enabled if the PC has internet access which
seems a bit odd as one of the reasons for upgrading from CD is because
the PC does not have such access.

Unless anyone can suggest a good reason for this I think a bug report
is in order (I can't see it on launchpad).

Colin