FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Ubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 AM
Saikat Saha
 
Default Laptop not resume from suspend when lid is closed

Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 11.04 in a laptop system.When lid is closed, the
system is not resumed from suspend. Please suggest how to solve this.

Regards,
Saikat

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-25-2012, 06:50 AM
Colin Law
 
Default Laptop not resume from suspend when lid is closed

On 25 April 2012 07:39, Saikat Saha <saikat.80in@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Ubuntu 11.04 in a laptop system.When lid is closed, the
> system is not resumed from suspend. Please suggest how to solve this.

You say it does not resume ok, is it suspending ok? The led should be
pulsing on/off when it is suspended.

Does it suspend/resume ok if you select Suspend via the shutdown menu
(I can't remember exactly how this is done on 11.04) and then resume
by clicking the power button?

If the answer to the above is yes, then does it resume ok if you
suspend via the menu, wait till it is suspended, close the lid, and
then re-open it?

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Saikat Saha
 
Default Laptop not resume from suspend when lid is closed

Hi,

Does it suspend/resume ok if you select Suspend via the shutdown menu
> (I can't remember exactly how this is done on 11.04) and then resume
> by clicking the power button?

yes, the system is suspend & resume using the Fn key & power button.
But when lid is closed, it is suspended & not resume to Ubuntu
Desktop.

If the answer to the above is yes, then does it resume ok if you
> suspend via the menu, wait till it is suspended, close the lid, and
> then re-open it?

I have done it. But the system still not resume from suspend. Please
suggest further.


~Saikat



On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 12:20 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 25 April 2012 07:39, Saikat Saha <saikat.80in@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am using Ubuntu 11.04 in a laptop system.When lid is closed, the
>> system is not resumed from suspend. Please suggest how to solve this.
>
> You say it does not resume ok, is it suspending ok? *The led should be
> pulsing on/off when it is suspended.
>
> Does it suspend/resume ok if you select Suspend via the shutdown menu
> (I can't remember exactly how this is done on 11.04) and then resume
> by clicking the power button?
>
> If the answer to the above is yes, then does it resume ok if you
> suspend via the menu, wait till it is suspended, close the lid, and
> then re-open it?
>
> Colin
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Colin Law
 
Default Laptop not resume from suspend when lid is closed

On 25 April 2012 08:07, Saikat Saha <saikat.80in@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> *Does it suspend/resume ok if you select Suspend via the shutdown menu
>> (I can't remember exactly how this is done on 11.04) and then resume
>> by clicking the power button?
>
> yes, the system is suspend & resume using the Fn key & power button.
> But when lid is closed, it is suspended & not resume to Ubuntu
> Desktop.
>
> If the answer to the above is yes, then does it resume ok if you
>> suspend via the menu, wait till it is suspended, close the lid, and
>> then re-open it?
>
> I have done it. But the system still not resume from suspend. Please
> suggest further.

When you open the lid does it do anything or does it stay suspended?
Is the light still flashing?

If the light does stop flashing but nothing else happens what if you
then type Ctrl+Alt+F1 (hold down Ctrl and Alt and hit F1). If that
gives you a logon screen what happens if you then do Ctrl+Alt+F7?

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Saikat Saha
 
Default Laptop not resume from suspend when lid is closed

When you open the lid does it do anything or does it stay suspended?
> Is the light still flashing?

It is showing black screen & hdd led is blinking. So it is trying to
resume from suspend but not able to do that.
>
> If the light does stop flashing but nothing else happens what if you
> then type Ctrl+Alt+F1 (hold down Ctrl and Alt and hit F1). If that
> gives you a logon screen what happens if you then do Ctrl+Alt+F7?
>

I type Ctrl+Alt+F1 here. But nothing happen. It is showing only the
black screen.


~Saikat

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 25 April 2012 08:07, Saikat Saha <saikat.80in@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> *Does it suspend/resume ok if you select Suspend via the shutdown menu
>>> (I can't remember exactly how this is done on 11.04) and then resume
>>> by clicking the power button?
>>
>> yes, the system is suspend & resume using the Fn key & power button.
>> But when lid is closed, it is suspended & not resume to Ubuntu
>> Desktop.
>>
>> If the answer to the above is yes, then does it resume ok if you
>>> suspend via the menu, wait till it is suspended, close the lid, and
>>> then re-open it?
>>
>> I have done it. But the system still not resume from suspend. Please
>> suggest further.
>
> When you open the lid does it do anything or does it stay suspended?
> Is the light still flashing?
>
> If the light does stop flashing but nothing else happens what if you
> then type Ctrl+Alt+F1 (hold down Ctrl and Alt and hit F1). *If that
> gives you a logon screen what happens if you then do Ctrl+Alt+F7?
>
> Colin
>
> --
> ubuntu-users mailing list
> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-25-2012, 08:32 AM
Colin Law
 
Default Laptop not resume from suspend when lid is closed

On 25 April 2012 09:20, Saikat Saha <saikat.80in@gmail.com> wrote:
> *When you open the lid does it do anything or does it stay suspended?
>> Is the light still flashing?
>
> It is showing black screen & hdd led is blinking. So it is trying to
> resume from suspend but not able to do that.
>>
>> If the light does stop flashing but nothing else happens what if you
>> then type Ctrl+Alt+F1 (hold down Ctrl and Alt and hit F1). *If that
>> gives you a logon screen what happens if you then do Ctrl+Alt+F7?
>>
>
> I type *Ctrl+Alt+F1 *here. But nothing happen. It is showing only the
> black screen.

Note the time at which you opened the lid and then reboot and use the
log file viewer to look in syslog to see if there are any error
messages at that time.

Also what laptop is it? I presume you have tried googling for the
model number, ubuntu and suspend resume.

There is no need to keep copying bits of the email to the top, just
insert your reply inline in the previous message, it is much easier.

Colin

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 
Old 04-25-2012, 12:39 PM
Liam Proven
 
Default Laptop not resume from suspend when lid is closed

On 25 April 2012 07:39, Saikat Saha <saikat.80in@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Ubuntu 11.04 in a laptop system.When lid is closed, the
> system is not resumed from suspend. Please suggest how to solve this.

Try updating your BIOS.

Suspend/resume uses ACPI, a common area for BIOS problems.

I also found using "nomodeset" in my kernel parameters helped.

--
Liam Proven • Profile: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven@cix.co.uk • GMail/G+/Twitter/Flickr/Facebook: lproven
MSN: lproven@hotmail.com • Skype/AIM/Yahoo/LinkedIn: liamproven
Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:31 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org