Old 04-24-2012, 07:53 PM
Kipton Moravec

Default Sun Java

I have a fresh install of Lubuntu.

I have a program that requires (Oricle) Sun Java.

I went to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Java

It said:

JRE only
Only supports Oracle (Sun) Java 6 JRE (which covers the needs of 99 % of
all computer users). It pulls the packages from Oracle's website and
installs them, comparable to the way Adobe Flash Player is being
installed.

* http://www.duinsoft.nl/packages.php?t=en

So I followed the link.

And followed these instructions:
Repository
The repository provides a Debian package with the script and the same
support files as in the support tarball. Setting things up is a bit more
work, but the script will be properly integrated in your system.
Additional advantages: a possibly installed out-of-date sun-java6
installation will be removed completely and if you keep the software
source in your list, you will automatically receive updates of the
script. The procedure:

* put the line
deb http://www.duinsoft.nl/pkg debs all
in the file /etc/apt/sources.list, either using Software Sources
from your System Menu or by editing the file in an editor (as
root)
or:
put this line in a file named (e.g.) duinsoft.list in the
directory /etc/apt/sources.list.d
* import the gpg key with the command (all on one line)
sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-keys 5CB26B26
* enter the commands (two lines)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install update-sun-jre
or use Synaptic to install the package
* installation of the Runtime Environment will follow
automatically

Using the script apt-add-repository -available for Ubuntu- is not
advisable because that script makes a few incorrect assumptions.
The keyserver keys.gnupg.net mentioned above is just an example. You can
use any reliable keyserver.

I think I did all this right.

So I tested.

kip@k5prk-ms:/usr/local$ java -version
The program 'java' can be found in the following packages:
* gcj-4.4-jre-headless
* openjdk-6-jre-headless
* cacao
* gij-4.3
* jamvm

This looks like OpenJDK not Sun-6-java.

So thinking something was wrong, I tried the apt-get again.

kip@k5prk-ms:/usr/local$ sudo apt-get install update-sun-jre
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
update-sun-jre is already the newest version.
required:
libdmraid1.0.0.rc16 libicu42 libdiscover2 python-pyicu discover
cryptsetup
libecryptfs0 reiserfsprogs rdate openbsd-inetd localechooser-data
ecryptfs-utils libdebconfclient0 discover-data dmraid
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 289 not upgraded.

So it says it was already installed.

Reading the documentation again, it said I had to choose the right one
to use if multiple ones were installed.

kip@k5prk-ms:/usr/local$ sudo update-alternatives --config java
[sudo] password for kip:
update-alternatives: error: no alternatives for java.

So now I am stuck. It looks like I have openjdk installed, but apt-get
says sun-jre is installed, and it says only one java is installed.

What am I doing wrong?

Kip

Old 04-24-2012, 08:02 PM
Jared Greenwald

Have you tried the webupd8 java ppa? They have a readily-installable
version of Oracle Java 7.

https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/java

Just run

# sudo apt-add-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
# sudo apt-get install oraclejava7-installer

The package is even setup to set all of your update alternatives so
automatically use the new Java.

Cheers...

Old 04-25-2012, 07:07 AM
Ric Moore

Have you tried the webupd8 java ppa? They have a readily-installable
version of Oracle Java 7.

https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/java

Just run

# sudo apt-add-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
# sudo apt-get install oraclejava7-installer

sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
...is what worked for me. Ric

http://linuxcounter.net/user/44256.html

Old 04-25-2012, 11:01 AM
Jared Greenwald

On Apr 25, 2012 3:08 AM, "Ric Moore" <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 04/24/2012 04:02 PM, Jared Greenwald wrote:

>> Have you tried the webupd8 java ppa? *They have a readily-installable

>> version of Oracle Java 7.

>> https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/java

>> Just run

>> # sudo apt-add-repository ppa:webupd8team/java

>> # sudo apt-get install oraclejava7-installer

> sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer

> ...is what worked for me. Ric

oops, ya that should do it.* musta hit send too quick...

Old 04-25-2012, 11:13 AM
Avi Greenbury

Kipton Moravec <kip@kdream.com> wrote:
> So I tested.
>
> kip@k5prk-ms:/usr/local$ java -version
> The program 'java' can be found in the following packages:
> * gcj-4.4-jre-headless
> * openjdk-6-jre-headless
> * cacao
> * gij-4.3
> * jamvm
>
> This looks like OpenJDK not Sun-6-java.

No, this is neither. It's suggesting packages you can install to get
something called 'java' that you can run; there's no 'java' binary in
your $PATH so you probably haven't got any Javas installed.

> kip@k5prk-ms:/usr/local$ sudo apt-get install update-sun-jre
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> update-sun-jre is already the newest version.
[...]
> So it says it was already installed.

Can you do a

dpkg -l | grep jre

and paste the output, please?

--
Avi

Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Kipton Moravec

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 12:13 +0100, Avi Greenbury wrote:
> Kipton Moravec <kip@kdream.com> wrote:
> > So I tested.
> >
> > kip@k5prk-ms:/usr/local$ java -version
> > The program 'java' can be found in the following packages:
> > * gcj-4.4-jre-headless
> > * openjdk-6-jre-headless
> > * cacao
> > * gij-4.3
> > * jamvm
> >
> > This looks like OpenJDK not Sun-6-java.
>
> No, this is neither. It's suggesting packages you can install to get
> something called 'java' that you can run; there's no 'java' binary in
> your $PATH so you probably haven't got any Javas installed.
>
> > kip@k5prk-ms:/usr/local$ sudo apt-get install update-sun-jre
> > Reading package lists... Done
> > Building dependency tree
> > Reading state information... Done
> > update-sun-jre is already the newest version.
> [...]
> > So it says it was already installed.
>
> Can you do a
>
> dpkg -l | grep jre
>
> and paste the output, please?

Here it is.

kip@k5prk-ms:/usr/local$ dpkg -l | grep jre
ii update-sun-jre 1.1.3
Updater/installer for Oracle's (Sun) Java Runtime Envir
kip@k5prk-ms:/usr/local$

Thanks,
Kip

Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Kipton Moravec

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 07:01 -0400, Jared Greenwald wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2012 3:08 AM, "Ric Moore" <wayward4now@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 04/24/2012 04:02 PM, Jared Greenwald wrote:
> >>
> >> Have you tried the webupd8 java ppa? They have a
> readily-installable
> >> version of Oracle Java 7.
> >>
> >> https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/java
> >>
> >> Just run
> >>
> >> # sudo apt-add-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
> >> # sudo apt-get install oraclejava7-installer
> >>

> > sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
> > ...is what worked for me. Ric
>
> oops, ya that should do it. musta hit send too quick...

First I am really annoyed that the instructions on the Ubuntu site do
not work.

But I am having problems with your instructions also. I copied and
pasted the lines.

kip@k5prk-ms:/usr/local$ sudo apt-add-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
[sudo] password for kip:
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring
--secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg
--trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg
--primary-keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com
--recv 7B2C3B0889BF5709A105D03AC2518248EEA14886
gpg: requesting key EEA14886 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: key EEA14886: public key "Launchpad VLC" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)

kip@k5prk-ms:/usr/local$ sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package oracle-java7-installer

O.K. now what?

Kip

Old 04-25-2012, 09:36 PM
Ma Xiaojun

I'm sorry.

I know that for some reason the distribution has to include the open
cousin of JRE/JDK. It can be better or worse depends your situation.

However, why don't you simply download JRE/JDK from Oracle site?
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

Old 04-25-2012, 09:42 PM
Jared Greenwald

Again, I must apologize.

Between running the apt-add-repository and the install you must run 'sudo apt-get update'.

On Thu, 2012-04-26 at 05:36 +0800, Ma Xiaojun wrote:
> I'm sorry.
>
> I know that for some reason the distribution has to include the open
> cousin of JRE/JDK. It can be better or worse depends your situation.
>
> However, why don't you simply download JRE/JDK from Oracle site?
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

I looked at that, but it assumed I knew which directory to put it in. I
do not know.

I think it is installing.

Kip