Old 04-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Jason Paul Joines

Default need to restore deleted partitions, system still running

I'm using Kubuntu 11.04. By mistake I just deleted all four of my
partitions and created one big one. I wasn't paying attention and
thought I was working on a USB stick instead of my hard drive.

At any rate, the system is still running and the kernel is still
aware of the old partition scheme as it is displayed in
/proc/partitions. It'll be hosed at the next reboot though as it'll
read the new partition table from disk. Is there any way to restore the
original partition table from /proc/partitions to disk?

Jason

Old 04-22-2012, 02:34 AM
"Kevin O'Gorman"

On Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Jason Paul Joines <jason@joines.org> wrote:
> * *I'm using Kubuntu 11.04. *By mistake I just deleted all four of my
> partitions and created one big one. *I wasn't paying attention and thought I
> was working on a USB stick instead of my hard drive.
>
> * *At any rate, the system is still running and the kernel is still aware of
> the old partition scheme as it is displayed in /proc/partitions. *It'll be
> hosed at the next reboot though as it'll read the new partition table from
> disk. *Is there any way to restore the original partition table from
> /proc/partitions to disk?

When I lost a hardware RAID controller, I recovered its 8 partitions
by writing a program to help me find them. I think I'll never again
use hardware RAID -- the speed differences are not important enough.

Just recently, I found that parted(8) has a "rescue" command to help
with exactly this process. It's probably your best bet. I've never
used it, but I sure would have if I had known it was there. The way I
did it, it took days of careful operations making sure I wasn't
further screwing things up.

This may also be a teachable moment for you: how are your backups?

--
Kevin O'Gorman, PhD

Old 04-22-2012, 06:24 AM
Conny Enström

I'm using Kubuntu 11.04. By mistake I just deleted all four of my
partitions and created one big one. I wasn't paying attention and
thought I was working on a USB stick instead of my hard drive.

At any rate, the system is still running and the kernel is still aware
of the old partition scheme as it is displayed in /proc/partitions.
It'll be hosed at the next reboot though as it'll read the new partition
table from disk. Is there any way to restore the original partition
table from /proc/partitions to disk?

Jason
===========

Try 'testdisk'

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

sudo apt-get install testdisk

Old 04-30-2012, 04:39 PM
Jason Paul Joines

[...]

Luckily, the last thing I had done before deleting my partitions
was to make a good full backup. I just didn't want to take the time to
restore 140 GB of data if I could easily save it in running form. As it
turned out, parted did the trick and I didn't have to restore from backup.

I had already tried the rescue function of parted without any
luck. When I deleted the partitions I had created one big entire disk
partition in their place. I deleted this partition and tried parted
again. For each of the first three runs, rescue found a new partition
and was able to recreate it. It was never able to rescue the fourth and
last partition though. However, I manually created the fourth partition
using all the remaining space with parted and that worked well.
Everything was back to normal after a reboot.

Jason