Old 04-19-2012, 04:17 PM
Sam Albers

Default Remove default shortcuts in Nautilus

Hello all,

I have a simple question but I can't seem to find the right answer here.

The default shortscuts in the nautilus file manager are home, desktop,
documents, downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, File System, and Trash.
These are the icons on the left side of the window manager.

One used to be able to remove those shortcuts by simply right clicking
on the icon then selecting remove. Now, however, for the default icons
that remove option in greyed out and not possible. Basically I want to
change where those Music, Documents etc. shortcuts point. So can
anyone either a) recommend a way to delete those default shortcuts so
that I can replace them with custom ones or b) suggest a way to
repoint those shortcuts to where I would like them to point?

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 although this behaviour has cropped up on
previous versions as well.

Thanks in advance!

Sam

Old 04-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Colin Law

On 19 April 2012 17:17, Sam Albers <tonightsthenight@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a simple question but I can't seem to find the right answer here.
>
> The default shortscuts in the nautilus file manager are home, desktop,
> documents, downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos, File System, and Trash.
> These are the icons on the left side of the window manager.
>
> One used to be able to remove those shortcuts by simply right clicking
> on the icon then selecting remove. Now, however, for the default icons
> that remove option in greyed out and not possible. Basically I want to
> change where those Music, Documents etc. shortcuts point. So can
> anyone either a) recommend a way to delete those default shortcuts so
> that I can replace them with custom ones or b) suggest a way to
> repoint those shortcuts to where I would like them to point?

The file .config/user-dirs.dirs in your home directory defines where
these link to. You can edit that file (you might have to log out and
in for the changes to be seen, I don't know).

Colin