Old 04-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Liam Proven

Default Anyone using the backported kernels on Lucid? I'm seeing driver problems.

I have been trying the backported Maverick, Natty & Oneiric kernels on Lucid.

The snag is that when installing Oneiric
(linux-image-generic-lts-backport-oneiric) I see a bunch of errors
about certain Realtek drivers not being installed, and when installing
the Natty kernel (linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty), I get
similar ones about certain graphics drivers:

Selecting previously deselected package linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty.
Unpacking linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty (from
.../linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty_2.6.38.13.23_i386.deb) ...
Setting up linux-image-2.6.38-13-generic (2.6.38-13.57~lucid1) ...
Running depmod.
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.38-13-generic
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/SUMO_rlc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/PALM_me.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/PALM_pfp.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/CAICOS_mc.bin for
module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/CAICOS_me.bin for
module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/CAICOS_pfp.bin for
module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/TURKS_mc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/TURKS_me.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/TURKS_pfp.bin for
module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/BTC_rlc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/BARTS_mc.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/BARTS_me.bin for module radeon
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/radeon/BARTS_pfp.bin for
module radeon
Running postinst hook script /usr/sbin/update-grub.

Sure enough, the resultant system doesn't run correctly on a PC with
an ATI graphics card and is stuck in 800*600.

Can anyone give me some pointers on how to resolve this?

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 04-20-2012, 03:28 AM
"Jeff G."

I have been trying the backported Maverick, Natty& Oneiric kernels on Lucid.

The snag is that when installing Oneiric
(linux-image-generic-lts-backport-oneiric) I see a bunch of errors
about certain Realtek drivers not being installed, and when installing
the Natty kernel (linux-image-generic-lts-backport-natty), I get
similar ones about certain graphics drivers:

using 3.0.0-17-generic #30~lucid with -duh- lucid and an ancient nVidia.
using nVidia driver - no issues.

not what you asked but an indication, given the normal weeping and
gnashing of teeth that go with anything nVidia. I had problems with a
realtek card using bodhi with a higher kernel, solved by going to mfg
site and upgrading driver.

radeon I don't know squat about.