Old 04-15-2012, 02:49 PM
David Fletcher

Default Infrequently used printers

This is probably a bit off topic, so I hope nobody objects to me
discussing it here.

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 950 that's been working faithfully ever
since I bought it however many years ago it was. I think my problem with
it is that it doesn't get used enough, so it's normally good enough for
my son to print some homework but whenever I need to print a photo it
just isn't working right due to some blocked jets. Yesterday it was
being a total PITA. I only wanted to print a 10x15cm sheet for some
passport photos but would it work? No. After I don't know how many
cleaning cycles and a new cartridge I gave up and took the file to Asda
Walmart and got it done for 35 pence.

Now, I reckon that the root of the problem is that it doesn't get used
often enough so the liquid ink dries and blocks the jets. So, I'm
thinking, would it be a good idea to ditch the inkjet, get a small
colour laser printer (I'm looking at, for instance, a Samsung CLP-320)
for document printing, and just take photo files to a shop for printing?

My reasoning is that because a laser printer's toner is a dry powder
anyway, there's nothing to get dried out and cause the problems I'm
experiencing with the inkjet.

Can anybody with relevant experience of laser printers please enlighten
me?

Thanks.

Dave

Old 04-15-2012, 03:40 PM
Normand Marion

I do bring my photo files* to photo finishing store and maintain the black cartridge on my Canon printer only for B&W documents, it is very to much expensive to print colour on inkjet printer. Replacing it with a laser colour printer is a good choice. It will be less expensive, but photo still have better looking at phtofinishing, you will not get the same quality on laser.

normand.marion@gmail.com

Old 04-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Jim Byrnes

Now, I reckon that the root of the problem is that it doesn't get used
often enough so the liquid ink dries and blocks the jets. So, I'm
thinking, would it be a good idea to ditch the inkjet, get a small
colour laser printer (I'm looking at, for instance, a Samsung CLP-320)
for document printing, and just take photo files to a shop for printing?

My reasoning is that because a laser printer's toner is a dry powder
anyway, there's nothing to get dried out and cause the problems I'm
experiencing with the inkjet.

Can anybody with relevant experience of laser printers please enlighten
me?

Thanks.

Dave

I'm sure that someone with technical expertise will comment but based on
my experience your reasoning seems valid to me. I have a Samsung
CLX-3160FN color laser and an old HP LaserJet 6p that I've had for ever.
Since I got the Samsung a couple of years ago I've hardly used the HP.
Yesterday I printed with a program I haven't used for a year which had
the HP as the default and the HP printed fine. I don't think it has been
setting idle for the whole year but it has been months since I've used it.

Regards, Jim

Old 04-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Rashkae