Old 04-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Jared Greenwald

Default Thunderbird Upgrade - Should I?

Would it be out of the question to consider upgrading to a newer
release of Ubuntu? 11.0.1 is the default version in12.04 now...

Old 04-15-2012, 01:59 PM
Graham Watkins

Would it be out of the question to consider upgrading to a newer
release of Ubuntu? 11.0.1 is the default version in12.04 now...

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Graham Watkins
I'm getting a nagging message on Thunderbird telling me to upgrade to the
latest version as the one I'm using will soon no longer be supported. I've
downloaded the tarball for 11.01 from Mozilla but I am filled with
foreboding. Is it safe to install this over the top of my existing
Thunderbird installation or am I likely to trash something and/or lose all
my mail?

Might it be safer to leave things alone until I decide to upgrade my entire
system? I'm using Ubuntu 10.4.

Cheers,

Graham

Maybe, but I've been sticking with 10.04 because I haven't been happy
with the way Ubuntu seems to be going. I expect at some point I'll have
to make a change but at the moment, I'm checking out alternatives in
Virtualbox.

Graham

Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Albert Wagner

Would it be out of the question to consider upgrading to a newer
release of Ubuntu? 11.0.1 is the default version in12.04 now...

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Graham Watkins
I'm getting a nagging message on Thunderbird telling me to upgrade to the
latest version as the one I'm using will soon no longer be supported. I've
downloaded the tarball for 11.01 from Mozilla but I am filled with
foreboding. Is it safe to install this over the top of my existing
Thunderbird installation or am I likely to trash something and/or lose all
my mail?

Might it be safer to leave things alone until I decide to upgrade my entire
system? I'm using Ubuntu 10.4.

You also might want to check out SolusOS.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:11 PM
NoOp

On 04/15/2012 06:25 AM, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm getting a nagging message on Thunderbird telling me to upgrade to
> the latest version as the one I'm using will soon no longer be
> supported. I've downloaded the tarball for 11.01 from Mozilla but I am
> filled with foreboding. Is it safe to install this over the top of my
> existing Thunderbird installation or am I likely to trash something
> and/or lose all my mail?
>
> Might it be safer to leave things alone until I decide to upgrade my
> entire system? I'm using Ubuntu 10.4.

Ubuntu are doing users a disservice by not upgrading Thunderbird:
<http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=thunderbird>

Note that it is not only the 10.04 LTS that they've not upgraded, but
also natty (11.04 - which is still supported until October).

Were I you I'd file a bug report and demand an upgrade as Mozilla
stopped all support (including security patches) for TB 3.1 this month:

<http://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2012/01/31/using-thunderbird-3-1-its-time-for-a-change/>
<https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/upgrading-thunderbird-31>

TB 3.x isn't even on the 'Extended Support' downloads page:
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/organizations/all-esr.html>
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/organizations/index.html>

Personally, I've blown out all bits of "Ubuntu Mozilla" (Thunderbird,
SeaMonkey, Firefox, Lightning) and only run the tarballs from Mozilla
directly. That way I am certain to get all security patches, and
updates/upgrades at the same time the rest of the world does.

$ locate thunderbird-bin
/home/<user>/Thunderbird/thunderbird/thunderbird-bin
$ locate firefox-bin
/home/<user>/FirefoxNightly/firefox/firefox-bin
/home/<user>/firefox/firefox/firefox-bin
$ locate seamonkey-bin
/home/<user>/seamonkey/seamonkey/seamonkey-bin

Read
<https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/upgrading-thunderbird-31>
- particularly "1. Backup your Thunderbird Data" (you can skip step #2).
Extract to a home folder (e.g. 'thunderbird'), point your menu to the
thunderbird shell (not the thunderbird-bin - I only used that in the
locate example as it's easy to find/display):
/home/<user>/Thunderbird/thunderbird/thunderbird
and off you go.

[The recent debacle with Macintosh not updating their Java when the
security update was released in February, is an example of what can
happen when package maintainers sit on their thumbs & spin...]

Old 04-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Sonny Golovine

Backup your profile folder then do the upgrade. Hopefully nothing will
go wrong but if it does, your profile will be safe.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 PM
Jared Greenwald

There is a nightly ppa for Thunderbird.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:19 AM

> On 04/15/2012 06:25 AM, Graham Watkins wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm getting a nagging message on Thunderbird telling me to upgrade
> > the latest version as the one I'm using will soon no longer be
> > supported. I've downloaded the tarball for 11.01 from Mozilla but I
> > am
> > filled with foreboding. Is it safe to install this over the top of
> > my
> > existing Thunderbird installation or am I likely to trash something
> > and/or lose all my mail?
> >
> > Might it be safer to leave things alone until I decide to upgrade my
> > entire system? I'm using Ubuntu 10.4.
>
> Ubuntu are doing users a disservice by not upgrading Thunderbird:
> <http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=thunderbird>
>
> Note that it is not only the 10.04 LTS that they've not upgraded, but
> also natty (11.04 - which is still supported until October).
>
> Were I you I'd file a bug report and demand an upgrade as Mozilla
> stopped all support (including security patches) for TB 3.1 this
> month:
>
> <http://blog.mozilla.org/thunderbird/2012/01/31/using-thunderbird-3-1-its-time-for-a-change/>
> <https://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/upgrading-thunderbird-31>

True, I'll sign up. But until that works, and as Jarad points out in another reply, there is a PPA. He suggests nightly, but seems to me the OP would want the current stable. Here's a link.
https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+archive/thunderbird-stable

For those insisting on the bleeding edge:
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-daily/+archive/ppa

Cheers all,

PE

Old 04-17-2012, 01:42 AM
NoOp

On 04/16/2012 04:58 PM, Jared Greenwald wrote:
> There is a nightly ppa for Thunderbird.

Perhaps you mean 'Daily':
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-daily/+archive/ppa

So you're running TB 14.x eh? How do you like it so far?

You could of course install the Mozilla Nightlies:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/
<quote>
This directory contains precompiled binaries of Thunderbird. These are
NIGHTLY BUILDS. They are completely untested. We don't even know if
they start up without crashing.

DO NOT DOWNLOAD THESE unless you have first read all of
http://www.mozilla.org/developer/#builds and fully understood the
consequences!
</quote>

Just change app.update.channel from 'release' to 'nightly'. But I
wouldn't recommend the OP do that.

As mentioned by Patton there is a "PPA" for "stable"
https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam/+archive/thunderbird-stable
But one has to wonder why anyone would require a PPA simply to keep
updated. You do realize that PPA "Personal" Package Archive... right?
That means if Chris Coulson goes walkabout, you'd receive no further
"stable" updates. I suppose you could try to track down one of the
Mozilla Team Members:
https://launchpad.net/~mozillateam
Good luck with that...

BTW: please bottom post on this list - thanks. See:

Old 04-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Basil Chupin

[...]

I have to add this comment - about using "current stable [version]" of
either Thunderbird or Firefox.

In all my years of using Nightlies - and I am right now using TB 13.0
[EarlyBird] and FF 14.0 - I have yet to find any fault in these
Nightlies which gave me really, really serious grief. Minor glitches
perhaps on the VERY rare occasion, possibly 5 or 6 years ago, but so
long ago that I do not remember what they were.

I religiously (well.....I have forgotten on some nights when I was
feeling rather cocky :-( ) make a backup copy of .mozilla and
.thunderbird (both 'hidden' directories) in my/your /home directory to
both an USB memory stick and also to my second HD which has a directory
I call "/data". If something DOES go wrong - or even if I lose my whole
system - I always have a copy of these 2 most important files.

Just to indicate why I treat the files in these 2 directories with
reverence: I last used a Windows system 10 years or so ago. The contents
of .mozilla and .thunderbird are the same as when I stopped using
Windows. I took the daily backup of these directories and simply
transferred them to the Linux system I started to use at that time.

Installing and using the Nightlies is simplicity itself. You don't have
to be a rocket-scientist to do it; but you cannot be someone who cannot
even tie your own shoe laces.

NoOp has already provided instructions on how to install and use the
Nightlies in case you start to wonder on how to do it.

BC

--
There comes a time in the affairs of a man when he has to take the bull by the tail and face the situation.
W C Fields