Old 04-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Bas Roufs - message in English

Default Virtual Box with Win 7 possible at *Ubuntu running at a laptop with 2 GB RAM?

Hello Everybody

*

Thanks, Compdoc, for your useful feedback.

> I would give the Windows 7 VM 1 Gig of ram, (leaving the laptop 1 Gig) if

> you use them both and switch back and forth often. They should be able to

> run in one gig of ram each.

*

This sounds reasonable. I am considering to use such settings during certain working sessions: e.g.. when I need to check how a website I am working at, looks in IE9. However.... see below.

*

*

> Or, you can give Windows 7 more ram, (such as

> 1.5 Gigs) if you are mainly using Windows 7 and then shutting it off

> afterwards. That will release the ram back to the laptop.

*

It is the other way around. I mainly use Kubuntu in my case. In about 1 to 5 % of my working sessions, I need to go "back and forth", as you would put it. When examining today Virtual Box more carefully, I remarked that it is possible to change settings all the time via the menu SYSTEM. That why, I am considering to act as follows:

to leave the RAM usage settings at 512 MB most of the time;
to change the RAM usage settings to 1 GB at the occasion of each "back and forth" working session;
to limit the use of other intense, memory consuming packages during such working sessions.
My question is: can I act like this without wrecking up or damaging something?

This is it for now. Respectfully yours,

Bas Roufs.

--

Bas G. Roufs MA

Van 't Hoffstraat 1

NL-3514 VT Utrecht

The Netherlands

E. BasRoufs@gmail.com

Mob. +31 6 446 835 10

Tel. +31 30 785 40

Websites in construction:

BasRoufs.eu
Viaconsensus.nl
RainbowGathering.eu
Open source OS: Linux Kubuntu 11.10.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Bas Roufs - message in English

> >• RAM usage settings ...512 MB ....1 GB.....

> Do you mean 512 MB for Windows 7? That seems small.

If I need Windows 7 in some working session, I set the RAM usage settings to 1 GB.

However, before closing such a session, I set the RAM usage sessions in Virtual Box back to 512 MB, while I shut down Windows and power it off - with a view to economising RAM space when I do not need Win7.

> > ..can I act like this without wrecking up or damaging something?

> I don’t think you will damage anything. ....

OK.

Thanks again for your useful feedback.

Respectfully yours,

Bas.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:54 PM
Bas Roufs - message in English

> >.. RAM usage ..back to 512 MB, while I shut down Windows....

> There's no need to change memory settings when you shut down Windows. It

> uses none when its turn off.

OK, everything clear, thanks.

Respectfully yours,

Bas.