Old 04-14-2012, 09:19 PM
Peter Hillier-Brook

Default Gnome and Ubuntu 12.04 beta

I hope someone can help me overcome a mental block. I installed Ubuntu
12.04 beta 2 in a VM so that I can evaluate the user interface of Gnome
3.4. Synaptic shows that it is installed on my system, but I've no idea
how to invoke it. The only options I'm offered at login are Ubuntu
(Unity) and Ubuntu 2D, presumably also Unity 2D.

Anyone?

Peter HB

Old 04-14-2012, 10:17 PM
"compdoc"

If I'm not mistaken, the older Ubuntus with unity were based on Gnome 2,
while the version of gnome on 12.04 is 3. But it still using Unity, and not
the gnome 3.4 desktop.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Swapnil Bhartiya

If I'm not mistaken, the older Ubuntus with unity were based on Gnome 2,
while the version of gnome on 12.04 is 3. But it still using Unity, and not
the gnome 3.4 desktop.

Log out and then from log-in screen select Gnome.

Arnie

Old 04-14-2012, 10:56 PM
"Pongo A. Pan"

On Sat, 2012-04-14 at 22:19 +0100, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> I hope someone can help me overcome a mental block. I installed Ubuntu
> 12.04 beta 2 in a VM so that I can evaluate the user interface of Gnome
> 3.4. Synaptic shows that it is installed on my system, but I've no idea
> how to invoke it. The only options I'm offered at login are Ubuntu
> (Unity) and Ubuntu 2D, presumably also Unity 2D.
>
> Anyone?

You need to install gnome shell (or cinnamon) if you want a non-unity
gnome 3.x desktop.

--
pongo pan
Sat, 14 Apr 2012 15:55:58 -0700

Old 04-15-2012, 10:27 AM
Space Cakex

Yeah, for me unity is a big mistake. When I installed previous version
one of the first thing was to find a repo for gnome3 (gnome-shell) and
now I'm happy when in Precisie I just simply need to select it from SW
manager I hope canonical will change their mind and stop the
development of this buggy, slow session manager and gnome shell will be
the default I think the primary reason of Unity was the early
problems with the Gnome-shell, but now it is stable, easy to use even
on my old HP Mini netbook Good jobe Gnome developers )

L:

Old 04-15-2012, 03:39 PM
Peter Hillier-Brook

I hope someone can help me overcome a mental block. I installed Ubuntu
12.04 beta 2 in a VM so that I can evaluate the user interface of Gnome
3.4. Synaptic shows that it is installed on my system, but I've no idea
how to invoke it. The only options I'm offered at login are Ubuntu
(Unity) and Ubuntu 2D, presumably also Unity 2D.

Anyone?

You need to install gnome shell (or cinnamon) if you want a non-unity
gnome 3.x desktop.

Yes, that gets me to a Gnome desktop, but it appears to be 3.2 rather
than the 3.4 I (thought I) installed.:-) A bit more poking around in
Synaptic seems to be called for.

Thanks for the pointer.

Peter HB

Old 04-21-2012, 02:49 AM
NoOp

On 04/14/2012 02:19 PM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> I hope someone can help me overcome a mental block. I installed Ubuntu
> 12.04 beta 2 in a VM so that I can evaluate the user interface of Gnome
> 3.4. Synaptic shows that it is installed on my system, but I've no idea
> how to invoke it. The only options I'm offered at login are Ubuntu
> (Unity) and Ubuntu 2D, presumably also Unity 2D.

If you actually want it to work, I recommend VMWare Player instead of
VBox. I have 12.04 running on the same host; VMWare Player correctly
does proper 3D (Unity and GNOME), VBox does not. Doesn't matter how many
times that I reinstall/reconfigure VBox, it still does not work in 3D.
And if I actually turn on the 3D display in Vbox, I don't even get a top
panel.
Same host/system - plus that same system has boot partitions to 12.04
& 11.04, and both work just fine, so it's not a hardware issue.

http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
Works For Me.
VirtualBox (4.1.12) does not.
https://www.virtualbox.org/

And yes, I do have the most recent VBox extension (VirtualBox 4.1.12
Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack) installed on the host. I can both
in parallel & side-by-side. Thumbs down on VirtualBox.

Old 04-21-2012, 02:59 AM
Liam Proven

On 21 April 2012 03:49, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 04/14/2012 02:19 PM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>> I hope someone can help me overcome a mental block. I installed Ubuntu
>> 12.04 beta 2 in a VM so that I can evaluate the user interface of Gnome
>> 3.4. Synaptic shows that it is installed on my system, but I've no idea
>> how to invoke it. The only options I'm offered at login are Ubuntu
>> (Unity) and Ubuntu 2D, presumably also Unity 2D.
>
> If you actually want it to work, I recommend VMWare Player instead of
> VBox. I have 12.04 running on the same host; VMWare Player correctly
> does proper 3D (Unity and GNOME), VBox does not. Doesn't matter how many
> times that I reinstall/reconfigure VBox, it still does not work in 3D.
> And if I actually turn on the 3D display in Vbox, I don't even get a top
> panel.
> Â*Same host/system - plus that same system has boot partitions to 12.04
> & 11.04, and both work just fine, so it's not a hardware issue.
>
> http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
> Works For Me.
> VirtualBox (4.1.12) does not.
> https://www.virtualbox.org/
>
> And yes, I do have the most recent VBox extension (VirtualBox 4.1.12
> Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack) installed on the host. I can both
> in parallel & side-by-side. Thumbs down on VirtualBox.

I've not tried it with 12.04, I will freely admit, but I had 11.04
running quite happily under VirtualBox, complete with 3D-accelerated
desktops and fill Unity. It took a little fiddling but it did work. I
believe the key step was to install the FOSS virtualbox-ose guest
additions from the standard Ubuntu repos, rather than the proprietary
one, but it was a year or so ago now.

I use both VBox and VMware Player from time to time - and VMware ESX+,
VirtualPC and Hyper-V on Windows and servers. VBox is the easiest,
simplest and cleanest of the lot, it's both freeware and FOSS and
unlimited, unlike the demos of VMware. I like it.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

Old 04-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Peter Hillier-Brook

I hope someone can help me overcome a mental block. I installed Ubuntu
12.04 beta 2 in a VM so that I can evaluate the user interface of Gnome
3.4. Synaptic shows that it is installed on my system, but I've no idea
how to invoke it. The only options I'm offered at login are Ubuntu
(Unity) and Ubuntu 2D, presumably also Unity 2D.

If you actually want it to work, I recommend VMWare Player instead of
VBox. I have 12.04 running on the same host; VMWare Player correctly
does proper 3D (Unity and GNOME), VBox does not. Doesn't matter how many
times that I reinstall/reconfigure VBox, it still does not work in 3D.
And if I actually turn on the 3D display in Vbox, I don't even get a top
panel.
Same host/system - plus that same system has boot partitions to 12.04
& 11.04, and both work just fine, so it's not a hardware issue.

I looked at VMWare and decided that it is not for me. I think it was the
Ts and Cs, however that's not the problem. Looking through Synaptic I
note that large lumps of GNOME are still at 3.2, despite the desktop
being at 3.4.

I've now installed Fedora-17 beta in a VM (VBox) and I'm happily
evaluating GNOME 3.4 in all its glory. Brief first impression is that
this is what Unity could have been, but then why create Unity in the
first place?

Peter HB

PS I have no problems with 3D under VBox, but I am using the "real"
thing from Oracle, not the rebuilt version in the Ubuntu repositories.
Maybe that's what is causing your problem?

Peter HB

Old 04-22-2012, 11:50 PM
NoOp

On 04/21/2012 03:23 AM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> On 21/04/12 03:49, NoOp wrote:
>> If you actually want it to work, I recommend VMWare Player instead of
>> VBox. I have 12.04 running on the same host; VMWare Player correctly
>> does proper 3D (Unity and GNOME), VBox does not. Doesn't matter how many
>> times that I reinstall/reconfigure VBox, it still does not work in 3D.
>> And if I actually turn on the 3D display in Vbox, I don't even get a top
>> panel.
>> Same host/system - plus that same system has boot partitions to 12.04
>> & 11.04, and both work just fine, so it's not a hardware issue.
>
> I looked at VMWare and decided that it is not for me. I think it was the
> Ts and Cs, however that's not the problem. Looking through Synaptic I
> note that large lumps of GNOME are still at 3.2, despite the desktop
> being at 3.4.

Of course. Then again, Oracle could pull another 'OpenOffice.org' with
VB as well...

> I've now installed Fedora-17 beta in a VM (VBox) and I'm happily
> evaluating GNOME 3.4 in all its glory. Brief first impression is that
> this is what Unity could have been, but then why create Unity in the
> first place?

Fedora 16 and 17b work just fine for me in VirtualBox, as does the GNOME
3.4 live user iso (<http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/misc/promo-cd/>).
It's just Ubuntu/Unity that does not.

> PS I have no problems with 3D under VBox, but I am using the "real"
> thing from Oracle, not the rebuilt version in the Ubuntu repositories.
> Maybe that's what is causing your problem?

Nope. No Ubuntu flavors installed - it's a clean 12.04 install (each
test) using only VirtualBox. Even acts the same with an alternate 'test'
user/profile.